Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,0684,0694,0704,0714,072»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:58 PM
jcrawf02 (7/24/2013)
L' Eomot Inversé (7/24/2013)
jcrawf02 (7/24/2013)
Koen Verbeeck (7/23/2013)
Lowell (7/23/2013)
Didn't know this site censored some words.
Hum. Whaddayaknow...

Oh man,so you've been added into the naughty list, then right?

Probably, if I wasn't already

(in my defense, it was a word that can also be used to describe a donkey, so there's debate possible over the effectiveness of the censorship)
Because there's a lot of discussion on sqlservercentral.com about donkeys? And you were specifically referring to donkeys?

Given the title of this thread why shouldn't there be a reasonable amount of discussion of donkeys?

Anyway, the only reason that word would be censored is that Americans can't spell (and have, unfortunately, begun to entice other English speaking nations into there silly misspelling of this particular word). In real English the word derived via Goidelic asan from Latin asinus doesn't suffer from having the same spelling as the word derived via Old English (or middle Dutch?) aers from Proto-Germanic *arsoz; neither, in British English, do the two words share the same pronunciation.

It's amazing and rather sad that some dictionaries are edited by people so entranced by American spelling that they incorrectly claim that the latter word is also derived (ultimately) from Latin asinus, presumably in order to account for the strange American spelling.
Somehow one would assume that this particular thread is excluded from any reasonable analysis of anything SQLServerCentral.

Americans are simply word-smithing, evolution at work. Shakespeare will be read as " 'sup, Julie? What you in hangin' in the window for, shorty?" in a few hundred years.

Well, in a few hundred years your sentence will indeed be as archaic as how we see Shakespeare today.

--------------------------------------
When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
--------------------------------------
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Post #1477180
Posted Wednesday, July 24, 2013 12:52 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 4:05 AM
jcrawf02 (7/24/2013)
Lowell (7/23/2013)
Hum. Whaddayaknow...

(in my defense, it was a word that can also be used to describe a donkey, so there's debate possible over the effectiveness of the censorship)
Because there's a lot of discussion on sqlservercentral.com about donkeys? And you were specifically referring to donkeys?

Sure I was.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1477219
Posted Wednesday, July 24, 2013 12:53 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 4:05 AM
L' Eomot Inversé (7/23/2013)
Something over 28 hours since message notification from SQLServer Central last arrived here. This drying up of notifications seems to be happening rather often recently, is there something horribly wrong somewhere in SQL Server Central's mail delivery? Other sites across the world talk to me - just not SQLServerCentral, so I doubt the problem is at this end.
Anyway, I won't go hunting on the website for messages - can catch up when messages get unblocked, I guess (may miss a few if the blocking can lose messages) - too busy to look at recent messages rather than just react to notifications recently.

I don't have any troubles with the notifications. For now.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1477220
Posted Friday, July 26, 2013 6:37 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 2:17 PM
Stefan Krzywicki (7/24/2013)
jcrawf02 (7/24/2013)
jcrawf02 (7/24/2013)
Lowell (7/23/2013)
Hum. Whaddayaknow...

Given the title of this thread why shouldn't there be a reasonable amount of discussion of donkeys?

Anyway, the only reason that word would be censored is that Americans can't spell (and have, unfortunately, begun to entice other English speaking nations into there silly misspelling of this particular word). In real English the word derived via Goidelic asan from Latin asinus doesn't suffer from having the same spelling as the word derived via Old English (or middle Dutch?) aers from Proto-Germanic *arsoz; neither, in British English, do the two words share the same pronunciation.

It's amazing and rather sad that some dictionaries are edited by people so entranced by American spelling that they incorrectly claim that the latter word is also derived (ultimately) from Latin asinus, presumably in order to account for the strange American spelling.
Somehow one would assume that this particular thread is excluded from any reasonable analysis of anything SQLServerCentral.

Americans are simply word-smithing, evolution at work. Shakespeare will be read as " 'sup, Julie? What you in hangin' in the window for, shorty?" in a few hundred years.

Well, in a few hundred years your sentence will indeed be as archaic as how we see Shakespeare today.

Considering how quickly American English slang evolves, it already sounds a bit dated. However...I found that sentence hysterically funny (says the English major). I'd love to do a translation like that for Wuthering Heights, mostly because they have to be two of the most pompous, self-involved characters in fiction, so they deserve it. (Maybe I should speak to Jasper Fforde...)
Post #1477967
Posted Friday, July 26, 2013 6:43 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Friday, September 12, 2014 9:43 AM
Koen Verbeeck (7/24/2013)
jcrawf02 (7/24/2013)
Lowell (7/23/2013)
Hum. Whaddayaknow...

Sure I was.

"It's so rude of your husband to call you 'The Donkey'"
"I know! He aw he aw He always calls me that!"

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Post #1477971
Posted Friday, July 26, 2013 9:35 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 12:03 AM
I haven't got enough hair to have bad hair days

BWAAA-HAAA!!! I've got tons of hair. I'm just not allowed to show it in the office... HR violation and all that.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1478069
Posted Friday, July 26, 2013 9:55 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:51 PM
Jeff Moden (7/26/2013)

BWAAA-HAAA!!! I've got tons of hair. I'm just not allowed to show it in the office... HR violation and all that.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1478078
Posted Friday, July 26, 2013 10:10 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:20 AM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/26/2013)
Jeff Moden (7/26/2013)

http://www.collegehumor.com/picture/6762775/nascar-fan-has-number-shaved-into-back-hair
Post #1478088
Posted Friday, July 26, 2013 10:14 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 8:05 AM
Jeff Moden (7/26/2013)

I need a brain scrub to get that mental picture out of my head.

Jason Wolfkill
Blog: SQLSouth
Twitter: @SQLSouth
Post #1478093
Posted Friday, July 26, 2013 11:23 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:51 PM
Jeff Moden (7/26/2013)

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1478118
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,0684,0694,0704,0714,072»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse