Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,0554,0564,0574,0584,059»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, September 11, 2014 7:42 PM
Lynn Pettis (7/15/2013)
Brandie Tarvin (7/15/2013)
Lynn Pettis (7/15/2013)
Actually, I've been in Afghanistan since July 2nd, Kabul since July 3rd.

How are things going?

All the days are just running together. It is hard to know what day it is. Other than that, I really have to say things are going extraordinary especially in my personal life. This deployment has rekindled my life potentially. Know more when I actually redeploy back to the states, but things are looking quite promising.

Some of you may know what I am talking about, but I'm not ready to say much more at this point.
Fantastic news!

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #1473833
Posted Tuesday, July 16, 2013 2:07 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 6:47 PM
Grant Fritchey (7/15/2013)
Lynn Pettis (7/14/2013)
Have a question for Redgate Backup users. I have looked on the Redgate site without luck.

How would I directly query Redgate Backup data tables to extract information for my own reporting?

Just checked to be sure, but everything should be in MSDB.

Seemed like I got more information from the Redgate log while in SQLBackup than I could see in msdb. Perhaps I just didn't look deep enough into the data. I will revisit this.

Thanks

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1474025
Posted Tuesday, July 16, 2013 4:48 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 5:48 AM
Sometimes it only takes typing in the SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE post to figure out what the problem is. @=)

I'm having one of those mornings where I have to go through all the details required of posting a problem before I manage to see what the issue is. But I posted anyway because I thought it might help someone googling their issue.

Heaven knows I couldn't find a post with my specific issue (even though there were a few that had the same error message).

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database Administrator

Webpage: http://www.BrandieTarvin.net
LiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/
On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.

Freelance Writer: Shadowrun
Latchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Post #1474057
Posted Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:21 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 2:27 PM
Arrgggg, some days I hate software.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1474267
Posted Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:23 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Sunday, August 17, 2014 3:10 PM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/16/2013)

Don't be hatin' , Steve.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
Stop, children, what's that sound? -- Stephen Stills
Post #1474268
Posted Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:31 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 4:05 AM
The Dixie Flatline (7/16/2013)

Don't be hatin' , Steve.

Haters gonna hate

But Steve, only some days?

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1474269
Posted Tuesday, July 16, 2013 3:24 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 1:03 PM

That's perfectly OK. Some days, software hates you.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1474307
Posted Tuesday, July 16, 2013 3:34 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Today @ 6:30 PM
Koen Verbeeck (7/16/2013)
The Dixie Flatline (7/16/2013)

Don't be hatin' , Steve.

Haters gonna hate

But Steve, only some days?

Well, why not only some days? After all, I hate software every day I come across some VB or VBS or any other Basic (Dijkstra was absolutely right when he said "the teaching of BASIC should be rated as a criminal offence: it mutilates the mind beyond recovery") or typical C++ (spaghetti with "friends") or really bad SQL, but most days I'm not so unfortunate as to see any of those things (and it's years since I actually had to debug any C++, and even longer since I had to write any) so that's not every day.

Tom
Post #1474311
Posted Tuesday, July 16, 2013 3:56 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 2:27 PM
Most days software works flawlessly for me. I have a small domain of things I do, and they work great.

The last two days I've expanded into the continuous integration world, working on integrating 5-6 pieces of software for a talk and it's been a nightmare. finally figured out today that it wasn't me so much as it was a bug and a version conflict.

A very nice developer helped me out with a pre-release build that fixed my issue

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1474321
Posted Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:03 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Today @ 6:30 PM
Most days software works flawlessly for me. I have a small domain of things I do, and they work great.

The last two days I've expanded into the continuous integration world, working on integrating 5-6 pieces of software for a talk and it's been a nightmare. finally figured out today that it wasn't me so much as it was a bug and a version conflict.

A very nice developer helped me out with a pre-release build that fixed my issue

When you get used to it you will realise that continuous development feeding into continuous unit testing feeding into continuous integration feeding into continuous system testing feeding into continuous QA feeding into continuous release is the only sensible way operate, contributes a lot to reducing the number of errors that hit the customers, and is conducive to a pleasant working environment with good relations between all the different functions, although first experiences can be scary, because you aren't yet used to working that way, and that can cause some silly finger pointing and denials of responsibility (which, in my experience, go away very quickly as long as the management is competent).

Quite soon (if you are unlucky) or a bit longer (if you are not) after you have realised what a wonderful world this is once you have adopted the continuous development/integration/release model you will discover the snag. The pointy haired bosses will throw "continuous timescale compression" into the mix, the HR department acting in conjunction with the bean counters will throw in "continuous real-value salary reduction with continuous employees' other benefits reduction", and that's pretty bad although you can cope with it by careful manoeuvring, and next the marketeers will get hold of the concept and form an alliance with the bean counters, and you'll be faced with "continuous timescale contraction", "continuous requirement inflation", "continuous downsizing of testing and QA resources", and "continuous reduction of development staffing" and that quadruple blow to the sanity of product strategy, development, and release practises will ensure that you hate hijacking by incompetent non-technical management of concepts like "continuous" operation even more than you hate software .

Tom
Post #1474343
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,0554,0564,0574,0584,059»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse