Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,0414,0424,0434,0444,045»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, June 29, 2014 11:44 PM
New layout of SQL Server Central Newsletter is too small. I don't want to read it on my mobile, make it wider please!
Post #1469329
Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 5:25 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:03 PM
Jeff Moden (7/1/2013)
jasona.work (7/1/2013)
OK, where I work, it seems that when they were remodelling (before I started) they "fixed" the air conditioning...

As in, one of the old hands stated where I'm sitting used to be the hottest part of the office in the summer because it had no vents overhead. Now it has vents, I sit right below one, and I'm putting my hand by the exhaust of the PC to try to warm up the fingers!

Going to be bringing in a bloody sweater to try to keep warm soon...

I had that problem at one place I worked. They did nothing about it when I complained. I even suggested an easy fix would be a snap-attach diverter. No good. No one did a thing.

So, I brought in a rather large umbrella and duct-taped it to the back of my chair which also cut out some of the nasty glare from the new lights. They eventually got the hint and put a diverter in the vent and the bonus was they put diffusers on the lights, too!

I don't know who the people are that design many of the offices that I've had to work in but they need to work in some of the places they designed or go back to school.

Duct tape + umbrella -- I think I have some bright pink duct tape....

Some of those offices designers must know the road designers around here.
They must walk to the office and never visit some of their masterpieces.
Post #1469407
Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 6:14 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:21 PM
Jeff Moden (7/1/2013)
jasona.work (7/1/2013)
OK, where I work, it seems that when they were remodelling (before I started) they "fixed" the air conditioning...

As in, one of the old hands stated where I'm sitting used to be the hottest part of the office in the summer because it had no vents overhead. Now it has vents, I sit right below one, and I'm putting my hand by the exhaust of the PC to try to warm up the fingers!

I had that problem at one place I worked. They did nothing about it when I complained. I even suggested an easy fix would be a snap-attach diverter. No good. No one did a thing.

So, I brought in a rather large umbrella and duct-taped it to the back of my chair which also cut out some of the nasty glare from the new lights. They eventually got the hint and put a diverter in the vent and the bonus was they put diffusers on the lights, too!

I don't know who the people are that design many of the offices that I've had to work in but they need to work in some of the places they designed or go back to school.

This reminds of the building I worked in on the job immediately prior to my current post. It had been completely renovated (formerly the campus library) and the floor I worked on (the top floor) used to be part of the stacks. When the designers planned the lighting for our space (a large open room), they specified ceiling fixtures that would provide the full amount of light required, apparently forgetting about the several very large, south-facing windows that alone provided most of the necessary light on sunny days. With white surfaces on our workstations, we had to wear welding helmets to avoid being blinded until we removed the fluorescent tubes from every other ceiling fixture. Brilliant!

Jason Wolfkill
Blog: SQLSouth
Twitter: @SQLSouth
Post #1469435
Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 7:20 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:09 AM
wolfkillj (7/2/2013)
Jeff Moden (7/1/2013)
jasona.work (7/1/2013)

This reminds of the building I worked in on the job immediately prior to my current post. It had been completely renovated (formerly the campus library) and the floor I worked on (the top floor) used to be part of the stacks. When the designers planned the lighting for our space (a large open room), they specified ceiling fixtures that would provide the full amount of light required, apparently forgetting about the several very large, south-facing windows that alone provided most of the necessary light on sunny days. With white surfaces on our workstations, we had to wear welding helmets to avoid being blinded until we removed the fluorescent tubes from every other ceiling fixture. Brilliant!

Actually, they knew it was going to be an IT shop, and they figured that they needed enough lights to handle all of the night work (devs fixing stuff that broke the app, dba head-slapping the devs for breaking the database, etc). Unfortunately, the electricians didn't get this word, so they didn't see the need to wire up the lights so that every other one would be controlled by different light switches...

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1469483
Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 7:49 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:54 PM
Brandie, you can be sooo evil.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1469509
Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 8:16 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 5:56 AM
GilaMonster (7/2/2013)

Hee. If he can be vague, so can I. @=)

EDIT: Oh, wait. You meant the OTHER post. (I am cackling right now. Is that bad?)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database Administrator

Webpage: http://www.BrandieTarvin.net
LiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/
On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.

Freelance Writer: Shadowrun
Latchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Post #1469541
Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 8:33 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Today @ 3:16 AM
GilaMonster (7/2/2013)

If that's the thread I think it is, I think she was very kind and gentle. You should see what one person I know wrote to a prima-donna programmer who demanded root privilege on one of the departmental Unix servers, and a few weeks after having been granted it (as the only way to get him to shut up) tried to clean up one of his own directories by running
rm -r *

By the way, I loved your comment there just a quarter of an hour less than a day ago. Decided to stay out of it because I couldn't contribute anything helpful (I doubted if anyone could, it looked like one would have to choose between being unhelpful because reply was insufficiently technical, being unhelpful because reply was incomprehensible to OP, or giving keystroke by keystroke instructions interactively - which I imagine no-one would do on this website).

Tom
Post #1469564
Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 8:39 AM

Ten Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 5:42 AM
L' Eomot Inversé (7/2/2013)
You should see what one person I know wrote to a prima-donna programmer who demanded root privilege on one of the departmental Unix servers, and a few weeks after having been granted it (as the only way to get him to shut up) tried to clean up one of his own directories by running
rm -r *

Surely an "f" is also needed to make that particularly damaging, unless they're really inept enough to confirm each individual delete?
Post #1469572
Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 10:47 AM

SSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 3:36 AM
Lynn Pettis (7/1/2013)
Just dropping by to let you know where I am.

I made it to Bagram last night but looks like I get to hang out here another day (at least) before heading on to Kabul.

Just a piece of advice for those you have never travelled military air, you really have nothing to complain about. When you have to load and unload your own baggage from the plane you begin to appreciate what they do for you.

Glad the trip is going well Lynn. Regarding baggage: I usually travel light enough that knowing they DIDN'T lose my luggage would be a bonus most of the time.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Post #1469663
Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 11:26 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Today @ 3:16 AM
HowardW (7/2/2013)
L' Eomot Inversé (7/2/2013)
You should see what one person I know wrote to a prima-donna programmer who demanded root privilege on one of the departmental Unix servers, and a few weeks after having been granted it (as the only way to get him to shut up) tried to clean up one of his own directories by running
rm -r *

Surely an "f" is also needed to make that particularly damaging, unless they're really inept enough to confirm each individual delete?

That depends on how your shell is configured. Ordinarily the f flag on rm means "suppress certain error/warning messages" (don't ask me which messages, it's too long since I last used Unix, but the effect is as if it includes the confirmation prompts requested by an i flag). Some shells (certainly C-shell, and at least one other) allow things to be set up so that rm is interpreted as rm -i (-i means prompt for confirmation for each deleted file or directory), but by default they don't interpret rm like that, it does require special setup. When the setup is such that rm is treated as rm -i, rm -f is treated as rm -i -f, and confirmation prompts are warning messages that -f suppresses; I imagine you are used to a shell set up like that so that you expect getting confirmation prompts to be the default. Maybe a lot of people set the shell up like that these days, but it was fairly uncommon way back when, so rm -r * with root privilege could be pretty drastic with or without the f.

Of course since 7 or 8 years ago several Unix systems refuse to allow rm -r / no longer works in some versions of Unix (I think Solaris was the first to so this) and about the same time .GNU acquired a configuration option to disallow rm -r /, so in modern systems rm -r * will not delete anything closer to the root node of filestore than the files in the current directory, which means that in many systems it can do an awful lot less damage than it could at earlier times. So that way for sysadmins to destroy there system is now much less commonly available than it used to be.

Tom
Post #1469684
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,0414,0424,0434,0444,045»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse