Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,0324,0334,0344,0354,036»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 1:01 PM
Brandie Tarvin (6/20/2013)
I need some advice, please.

One of my thread questions has a poster on it who spent all day yesterday on Twitter telling me my problem is impossible (literally, he said that). He refuses to believe I have a problem because he can't reproduce it and I can't exactly let him see my systems.

So he found the thread I posted here and has been contributing, or trying to contribute, without actually helping. I managed to ignore his first post, but his second post made an absolute judgement on something that he can't possible know is 100% true for everyone. So I posted a brief rebuttal and now he's responded.

The problem is if I read his response, I might do an angry rant kind of post and turn into one of Those OPs, which I'm trying not to do. On the other hand, if I ignore a thread I started, I might never see the other responses which might actually be helpful.

How should I handle this? I don't want a guy who doesn't even believe I have an issue trying to "help me" resolve it by telling me I don't have an issue.

Can you not just skip any of his replies? That's what I try to do in similar situations, but I know it isn't easy.

--------------------------------------
When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
--------------------------------------
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Post #1465841
Posted Thursday, June 20, 2013 10:51 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 9:11 AM
Stefan Krzywicki (6/20/2013)

One of my thread questions has a poster on it who spent all day yesterday on Twitter telling me my problem is impossible (literally, he said that). He refuses to believe I have a problem because he can't reproduce it and I can't exactly let him see my systems.

So he found the thread I posted here and has been contributing, or trying to contribute, without actually helping. I managed to ignore his first post, but his second post made an absolute judgement on something that he can't possible know is 100% true for everyone. So I posted a brief rebuttal and now he's responded.

The problem is if I read his response, I might do an angry rant kind of post and turn into one of Those OPs, which I'm trying not to do. On the other hand, if I ignore a thread I started, I might never see the other responses which might actually be helpful.

How should I handle this? I don't want a guy who doesn't even believe I have an issue trying to "help me" resolve it by telling me I don't have an issue.

Can you not just skip any of his replies? That's what I try to do in similar situations, but I know it isn't easy.

I suppose the easiest thing to do is delete the notification of his response and wait until the next notification comes before I revisit the thread.

Unfortunately my frustration with him has leaked out onto the other people who actually are trying to help out. Which is Not Good and for which I apologize.

EDIT: Fixing typo

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database Administrator

Webpage: http://www.BrandieTarvin.net
LiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/
On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.

Freelance Writer: Shadowrun
Latchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Post #1465848
Posted Thursday, June 20, 2013 11:14 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 7:53 AM
[quote]. . . I suppose the easiest thing to do is delete the notification of his response and wait until the next notification comes before I revisit the thread.

Unfortunately my frustration with him has leaked out onto the other people who actually are trying to help out. Which is Not Good and for which I apologize.

That's life, Brandie. I think there is no need to apologize.
Post #1465857
Posted Thursday, June 20, 2013 11:25 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 12:57 PM

Link please, we can read it for you ;)

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1465862
Posted Thursday, June 20, 2013 11:36 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 9:11 AM
SQLRNNR (6/20/2013)

Link please, we can read it for you ;)

Tempting as it is, I don't want a dogpile on that thread. Also, most of the context is missing because the Twitter convo is not there.

I already had to edit out one of my early morning mini-rants, which splashed onto Greg. The rest of it is .. well, mostly civil.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database Administrator

Webpage: http://www.BrandieTarvin.net
LiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/
On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.

Freelance Writer: Shadowrun
Latchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Post #1465869
Posted Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:33 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:21 PM

I think I've been following that thread and know which posts you're talking about. In the absence of a feature that would block or hide posts from a particular person, the only suggestion I have is to just ignore those "nuh-uh!"/"yuh-huh!" posts. People who just want to argue go away pretty quickly once they realize that they can't carry on an argument by themselves. When you get the notification e-mail that says he's posted a reply to that thread, just delete it. As hard as it may be to resist that urge to engage, choosing not to will save you a lot of grief.

Jason Wolfkill
Blog: SQLSouth
Twitter: @SQLSouth
Post #1465910
Posted Thursday, June 20, 2013 2:01 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 12:50 PM
wolfkillj (6/20/2013)
...In the absence of a feature that would block or hide posts from a particular person, the only suggestion I have is to just ignore those "nuh-uh!"/"yuh-huh!" posts. People who just want to argue go away pretty quickly once they realize that they can't carry on an argument by themselves.

+1

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1465924
Posted Thursday, June 20, 2013 2:44 PM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 11:59 AM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/20/2013)
wolfkillj (6/20/2013)
...In the absence of a feature that would block or hide posts from a particular person, the only suggestion I have is to just ignore those "nuh-uh!"/"yuh-huh!" posts. People who just want to argue go away pretty quickly once they realize that they can't carry on an argument by themselves.

+1

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #1465944
Posted Thursday, June 20, 2013 2:47 PM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 2:51 PM
jcrawf02 (6/20/2013)
wolfkillj (6/20/2013)

+1

Snicker. That was good.

+1 the -1
Post #1465945
Posted Thursday, June 20, 2013 3:19 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:21 PM
jcrawf02 (6/20/2013)
wolfkillj (6/20/2013)

+1

I see what you did there.

Jason Wolfkill
Blog: SQLSouth
Twitter: @SQLSouth
Post #1465963
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,0324,0334,0344,0354,036»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse