Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««3,9833,9843,9853,9863,987»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 5:30 PM
Amazing how some make comments when they take what others say out context. Sometimes you really do have to look at the entire quote, not just the part you wish to make a comment on.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1455649
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:49 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 2:33 PM
Lynn Pettis (5/22/2013)
...take what others say out context...just the part you wish to make a comment on.

I can't believe you'd give advice like this.

--------------------------------------
When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
--------------------------------------
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Post #1455671
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2013 2:00 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Stefan Krzywicki (5/22/2013)
Lynn Pettis (5/22/2013)
...take what others say out context...just the part you wish to make a comment on.

I can't believe you'd give advice like this.

Funny, and when did you want me to come out and mentor those referees?

Lynn Pettis

For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables

Post #1455684
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2013 2:07 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Today @ 7:21 AM
Lynn Pettis (5/22/2013)
patrickmcginnis59 10839 (5/22/2013)
Brandie Tarvin (5/22/2013)
patrickmcginnis59 10839 (5/21/2013)
L' Eomot Inversé (5/21/2013)

In response to Patrick, it would have better phrased something like "There is a lot of discussion of this on the web. Have you not seen anything that indicates what the problems are?" which seems very much less like a snide remark.

,,, after typing in this very thread ...

Now can someone tell me what all the fuss is about? Please? I just don't understand what the difficulties are, in fact I suspect they were unreal problems dreamt up by bone-headed old dinosaurs who have forgotten how to adapt to new things.

Seriously?

The difference being that his dinosaurs comment came across as a generic reference and was not directed specificially at anyone in this thread. Whereas your comment was specifically directed at him and made about him.

What you're saying is that I was perfectly welcome to avoid mentioning my disapproval of the product so as to avoid his wide sweeping and exaggerated characterization of anybody who deems to have a complaint, right?

I didn't read Tom's post that way you did, but I did read your post the same way Brandie did.

There is nothing wrong with you expressing your disapproval of the product, but put it that way and don't personally attack someone else while doing it.

I found that I disagreed with his post, and felt it took no consideration of what I and others have complainted about. I suggested a reason for it, ie., he doesn't browse the web much. Its up to him to convince me that I'm mistaken, IF HE FEELS THE NEED.

I DID bring up his characterization of me and others as being "bone-headed old dinosaurs" as an illustration of how selectively you guys are in your characterisation of posts.
Post #1455693
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2013 2:12 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 2:25 PM
Oh look... "I don't think that's right... " again. Anyone got a baseball bat? Or a punching bag?

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1455696
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2013 2:56 PM

SSC-Insane

Lynn Pettis (5/22/2013)

In response to Patrick, it would have better phrased something like "There is a lot of discussion of this on the web. Have you not seen anything that indicates what the problems are?" which seems very much less like a snide remark.

Now can someone tell me what all the fuss is about? Please? I just don't understand what the difficulties are, in fact I suspect they were unreal problems dreamt up by bone-headed old dinosaurs who have forgotten how to adapt to new things.

Seriously?

The difference being that his dinosaurs comment came across as a generic reference and was not directed specificially at anyone in this thread. Whereas your comment was specifically directed at him and made about him.

What you're saying is that I was perfectly welcome to avoid mentioning my disapproval of the product so as to avoid his wide sweeping and exaggerated characterization of anybody who deems to have a complaint, right?

I didn't read Tom's post that way you did, but I did read your post the same way Brandie did.

There is nothing wrong with you expressing your disapproval of the product, but put it that way and don't personally attack someone else while doing it.

I found that I disagreed with his post, and felt it took no consideration of what I and others have complainted about. I suggested a reason for it, ie., he doesn't browse the web much. Its up to him to convince me that I'm mistaken, IF HE FEELS THE NEED.

I DID bring up his characterization of me and others as being "bone-headed old dinosaurs" as an illustration of how selectively you guys are in your characterisation of posts.

Pulling this quote out:

I read this as a simple generalization and not something directed at you personally, unlike your post which was obviously directed at Tom.

The fun part of all this is that I can't seem to find the original post in which Tom was supposed to have made this comment, nor do I see any any posts from which this comment may have been deleted.

If anyone can find it a provide the url (by clinking and pasting from the message number) I would appreciate it. I have been rereading the past 200 or so posts and it is elluding me.

Lynn Pettis

Post #1455717
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2013 3:09 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
Lynn Pettis (5/22/2013)

If anyone can find it a provide the url (by clinking and pasting from the message number) I would appreciate it. I have been rereading the past 200 or so posts and it is elluding me.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1453093.aspx
Fourth Paragraph.

GilaMonster (5/22/2013)
Oh look... "I don't think that's right... " again. Anyone got a baseball bat? Or a punching bag?

Don't you own a katana?

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Post #1455727
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2013 3:11 PM

SSC-Insane

Evil Kraig F (5/22/2013)
Lynn Pettis (5/22/2013)

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1453093.aspx
Fourth Paragraph.

GilaMonster (5/22/2013)

Don't you own a katana?

Thank you. I actually read that post several times but managed to miss the snake in the grass.

Lynn Pettis

Post #1455728
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2013 3:15 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 2:25 PM
Evil Kraig F (5/22/2013)
GilaMonster (5/22/2013)

Don't you own a katana?

Yes, but it'll damage the punching bag. The offending person is a little out of my reach.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1455729
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2013 3:20 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Today @ 7:21 AM
Lynn Pettis (5/22/2013)
Lynn Pettis (5/22/2013)

Seriously?

Pulling this quote out:

I read this as a simple generalization and not something directed at you personally, unlike your post which was obviously directed at Tom.

I did indeed address Tom directly. I offered my theory that he has not read the complaints about 8. And its been a fairly common news item. Obviously the other characterization was that he dismissed all of us 8 detracters as bone headed dinosaurs, but I felt free to leave that out until Brandy started with the "attack" meme. I then referenced it as an example of dueling standards.

The fun part of all this is that I can't seem to find the original post in which Tom was supposed to have made this comment, nor do I see any any posts from which this comment may have been deleted.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic604325-61-3970.aspx#bm1453093
Post #1455731
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««3,9833,9843,9853,9863,987»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse