Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««3,9633,9643,9653,9663,967»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 12:45 PM
jasona.work (5/8/2013)
You know, having a window at work can be both a boon and a curse...

Boon because, especially if it opens, you can get fresh air, bright sunshine...

Curse for the exact same reasons, especially on nice days...

I keep feeling the breeze on my neck, and wishing I'd tossed my golf clubs in the trunk of the car so I could sneak out early...

I'd like to do that as well.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1450738
Posted Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:27 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 2:17 PM
SQLRNNR (5/8/2013)
jasona.work (5/8/2013)

I keep feeling the breeze on my neck, and wishing I'd tossed my golf clubs in the trunk of the car so I could sneak out early...

I'd like to do that as well.

Ha! We're lucky we get AIR to breathe in these new-fangled buildings! As for actual sunlight...fuggetabahtit. And the air ain't that great, neither.
Post #1450740
Posted Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:49 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:25 PM
jasona.work (5/8/2013)
Stefan Krzywicki (5/8/2013)
jasona.work (5/8/2013)

Windows that OPEN??!?!

Well, it is only a two floor building, built way back in the '40s or so...

Of course, the poor schleps in the newer buildings don't get opening windows...

I'm in an 8 story converted pre-WWI naval warehouse on the 6th floor. Our windows open, mostly, but they're far from me in offices and conference rooms that line the front wall. My air is piped to me and the temperature control... lets say it leaves something to be desired.

--------------------------------------
When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Post #1450750
Posted Thursday, May 9, 2013 1:28 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:38 AM
jasona.work (5/8/2013)

Windows that OPEN??!?!

The windows here don't open - it's a secured building - but we're on the ground floor, and the surrounding area is heavily landscaped. Last summer a roe deer with two fawns visited two or three times a week right outside the nearest window, munching on the expensively-manicured foreign plants. Cuteness.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Post #1450910
Posted Thursday, May 9, 2013 5:28 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:33 PM
ChrisM@Work (5/9/2013)
jasona.work (5/8/2013)

Windows that OPEN??!?!

The windows here don't open - it's a secured building - but we're on the ground floor, and the surrounding area is heavily landscaped. Last summer a roe deer with two fawns visited two or three times a week right outside the nearest window, munching on the expensively-manicured foreign plants. Cuteness.

I won't ever see deer outside this window...
If I lean back, I can see a HUMVEE, and if I roll towards my cube mate, I can see a Bradley IFV...
Post #1451035
Posted Thursday, May 9, 2013 5:36 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:12 PM
Several years back, my team was consigned to a seventh floor group of cubes for a few months during a remodel. My boss had an office with a window overlooking a rooftop. The crows liked that particular side of the building and would attack the glass to get to him.

These were BIG crows, BTW. And they'd just swoop up to the window and start clawing and pecking at it.

That "show of nature" freaked him out. He was so glad when we moved away from that spot.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database Administrator

Webpage: http://www.BrandieTarvin.net
LiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/
On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.

Freelance Writer: Shadowrun
Latchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Post #1451048
Posted Thursday, May 9, 2013 6:59 AM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Today @ 8:41 AM
Brandie Tarvin (5/9/2013)
Several years back, my team was consigned to a seventh floor group of cubes for a few months during a remodel. My boss had an office with a window overlooking a rooftop. The crows liked that particular side of the building and would attack the glass to get to him.

These were BIG crows, BTW. And they'd just swoop up to the window and start clawing and pecking at it.

That "show of nature" freaked him out. He was so glad when we moved away from that spot.

I would have found an old paper back of Hitchcock's 'The Birds' and dropped it on his desk.
The last few cubes I had faced windows.
I liked the light, but they just looked out over a parking lot.

Probably the most exciting thing I watched was athunderstorm with baseball sized hail pounding everything in the lot.
Yep, I drove my new truck in that day.
Exciting but sad at the same time.
Post #1451093
Posted Thursday, May 9, 2013 7:04 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:25 PM

I once worked in one of those buildings with an all glass façade. None of the windows opened, but we still had a weird moment with them. One day we heard a loud thump from the windows, which was weird because we were on the third floor. My co-worker jumped and let out a little horrified yelp because she'd seen what happened. A bird flew right into one of the windows to her left, wings outstretched. She liked animals and was shaken up by this. It was made worse because the impact left a bird-shaped outline on the glass that didn't go away for months. Every time she looked out the window, she'd get sad again.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Post #1451096
Posted Thursday, May 9, 2013 8:04 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:10 PM
jasona.work (5/9/2013)
ChrisM@Work (5/9/2013)
jasona.work (5/8/2013)

Windows that OPEN??!?!

I won't ever see deer outside this window...
If I lean back, I can see a HUMVEE, and if I roll towards my cube mate, I can see a Bradley IFV...
Window? I can see the printer from here, and if I look around, I can see walls, cube walls and oh! An exotic fire extinguisher in the wild! (sshhh, you'll scare it off!)

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #1451127
Posted Thursday, May 9, 2013 8:07 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:10 PM
Stefan Krzywicki (5/9/2013)

I once worked in one of those buildings with an all glass façade. None of the windows opened, but we still had a weird moment with them. One day we heard a loud thump from the windows, which was weird because we were on the third floor. My co-worker jumped and let out a little horrified yelp because she'd seen what happened. A bird flew right into one of the windows to her left, wings outstretched. She liked animals and was shaken up by this. It was made worse because the impact left a bird-shaped outline on the glass that didn't go away for months. Every time she looked out the window, she'd get sad again.
yeah, we had an exceptionally dusty pigeon fly into our transom window at home. Flew off after, although a little drunkenly. I told my wife an angel had visited...she didn't buy it.

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #1451130
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««3,9633,9643,9653,9663,967»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse