Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««3,9613,9623,9633,9643,965»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 2:17 PM
I don't recall anyone saying the question was trivial - my recollection is that someone noted that for someone with his apparent level of experience, it seemed that there was no research done elsewhere, and the question did not say it was actually happening. (And actually, I just looked at the actual post again, and the reply was calm and rational, and the guy said "thanks" - all very low-key!) I can see where there could be some consternation if/when this does happen (I've actually seen the "single user" thing, but I happened to be the user who got in, so I was able to just reset it), but not to the point of suicide, surely. That would indicate a depth of unwellness better addressed outside of an online forum, yes? Not trying to be catty or snide here, just expressing my perspective.

Donna
Post #1449808
Posted Monday, May 6, 2013 12:02 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 4:09 PM
dbursey (5/6/2013)
I don't recall anyone saying the question was trivial - my recollection is that someone noted that for someone with his apparent level of experience, it seemed that there was no research done elsewhere, and the question did not say it was actually happening. (And actually, I just looked at the actual post again, and the reply was calm and rational, and the guy said "thanks" - all very low-key!) I can see where there could be some consternation if/when this does happen (I've actually seen the "single user" thing, but I happened to be the user who got in, so I was able to just reset it), but not to the point of suicide, surely. That would indicate a depth of unwellness better addressed outside of an online forum, yes? Not trying to be catty or snide here, just expressing my perspective.

Donna

Thank you.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1449828
Posted Tuesday, May 7, 2013 4:43 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 9:45 AM
Some pictures of a couple of people you may know of from the Medieval evening as SQLbits...

Cheers,

Rodders...

Post Attachments 
DSCN2792.JPG (46 views, 189.68 KB)
DSCN2848.JPG (47 views, 172.34 KB)
DSCN2850.JPG (43 views, 166.47 KB)
Post #1450053
Posted Tuesday, May 7, 2013 4:48 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 11:13 AM
rodjkidd (5/7/2013)
Some pictures of a couple of people you may know of from the Medieval evening as SQLbits...

Cheers,

Rodders...

Ah, Templar photo-bombing at it's best. WHOOP!

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1450057
Posted Tuesday, May 7, 2013 5:35 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 11:10 AM
rodjkidd (5/7/2013)

Cheers,

Rodders...

Why do I suddenly have Mel Brooks belting out "The Inquisition" running through my head?

Now I want to go watch "History of the World..."

Send in the NUNS!
Post #1450072
Posted Tuesday, May 7, 2013 5:44 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 9:51 AM
rodjkidd (5/7/2013)

Cheers,

Rodders...

I didn't see you Rod, but bumped into a few folks I know from the Maidenhead group and elsewhere.
Some of those lectures were inspired.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Post #1450079
Posted Tuesday, May 7, 2013 6:38 AM

SSCrazy

Grant, Jason, Chris

Best photo bomb ever! I had the camera on sports / burst mode so I have 4 /5 shots... Now you see him / now you don't / now you see him sort of thing!

It was a very good SQL Bits, learnt alot, I think I managed 100% on the sessions I picked. I have in the past picked one or two that looked like something I could use but for whatever reason wasn't the right one to pick.

Chris, well I was in one of the helper tops and yellow / green / red jester hat! I did keep an eye out for you. I have to say though, being a helper, while fun, does suck up alot of the mingling time you have. Especially on the Saturday with the increased numbers. But I didn't see you!
One person did leave a message for me at the front desk and I finally met up with him around lunch time!

Cheers,

Rodders...

Post #1450097
Posted Tuesday, May 7, 2013 8:00 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

The guy in the brown top (or "jack") in the bottom right quadrant of this pic - that's my medikit exactly, and my own mother wouldn't recognise me in it. I caught the last 15 minutes of Grant Fritchey's talk on saturday morning when he was playing the audience, and wished I'd been there from the start; Hugo K's excellent MERGE presentation, and one about the new analytical functions in 2012 which was "fair". Friday night was awesome and helped take my mind off a friend's funeral the day before. Freakin' freaky. Funeral with bow, programming conference with bow.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Post #1450155
Posted Tuesday, May 7, 2013 8:11 AM

SSCrazy

Oops I was Hugo's room monitor... I took a picture of the people in the room, where you there by then? He joked that I should take the session...

I liked his session, but then I've only written two MERGE statements in anger!

Rodders...

Post #1450165
Posted Tuesday, May 7, 2013 8:24 AM

SSCertifiable

Middle right, 15-20 minutes early. It was good, very thorough. Some excellent questions were asked - not too edge-case.

Post #1450178
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««3,9613,9623,9633,9643,965»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse