Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««3,9533,9543,9553,9563,957»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:17 PM
I love getting out of town for the weekend...

Getting a year older today (well, technically I've been getting a year older every day since last year at this time, today is just the day that the counter rolls over and starts counting until next year) and the wife and I are slipping out of town and across the border...

Going into Toronto for the weekend.

Why?

'Cause it ain't here!

Jason
Post #1447002
Posted Friday, April 26, 2013 8:00 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Friday, November 21, 2014 12:12 PM
jasona.work (4/26/2013)
Going into Toronto for the weekend.

Smuggle us back some maple syrup and a couple of real live Canucks if you would, please. Just for kicks and giggles. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database Administrator

Webpage: http://www.BrandieTarvin.net
LiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/
On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.

Freelance Writer: Shadowrun
Latchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Post #1447012
Posted Friday, April 26, 2013 8:05 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:17 PM
I just going to hope we don't get mocked on Saturday for wearing our Red Wings jerseys...

As for smuggling back Canucks, do we want the hockey players (in which case we're going to the wrong end of Canada) or the cute snow-bunny types (in which case the wife will hurt me)?
Post #1447013
Posted Friday, April 26, 2013 8:10 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 8:42 AM
jasona.work (4/26/2013)
I just going to hope we don't get mocked on Saturday for wearing our Red Wings jerseys...

As for smuggling back Canucks, do we want the hockey players (in which case we're going to the wrong end of Canada) or the cute snow-bunny types (in which case the wife will hurt me)?

That second thing. It's worth the pain (and thank the gods my wife doesn't read this).

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1447024
Posted Friday, April 26, 2013 9:01 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 2:17 PM
jcrawf02 (4/25/2013)
L' Eomot Inversé (4/24/2013)
jcrawf02 (4/24/2013)
Lynn Pettis (4/23/2013)
L' Eomot Inversé (4/23/2013)
Jeff Moden (4/23/2013)
Heh... to complicated. Just take Jason.A to work and let him entertain the kids with stories of GPO's as if they were dragons.

That's too risky; if the kids have been reading the wrong stuff they'll be seeing the GPO's as heroic dragons and the DBAs as foul thread.
Safer would be to present the sysadmins as evil sorcerors casting foul black magic spells upon the system's GPO defenses to make them betray their purpose and harm the system instead of defending it.

How many others caught the reference to the Dragon Riders of Pern??
Is the inference that Anne McCaffrey is "the wrong stuff"?
Yes, but only in the sense that if the kids had read her it would make the "evil dragons" story seem a bit odd. That of course would be a good thing, since a dragon is a man's best friend and reading McC would give the kids some defence against corruption by stories of nasty dragons because they would know that all dragons are nice, wouldn't it.
Ha! Gotcha.

Hmmm, where do the hapless dev's fit into this story? I don't want to be a villager!!! Or even one of the aristocracy! I want my own white dragon, that's what I want.
Post #1447051
Posted Friday, April 26, 2013 10:56 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:09 AM
Grant Fritchey (4/26/2013)
jasona.work (4/26/2013)

That second thing. It's worth the pain (and thank the gods my wife doesn't read this).

We can make that change

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Post #1447101
Posted Friday, April 26, 2013 11:01 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 4:56 AM
Jack Corbett (4/26/2013)
jasona.work (4/26/2013)

We can make that change

Now, now. What happens in The Thread stays in The Thread.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1447103
Posted Friday, April 26, 2013 5:55 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 10:50 AM
jasona.work (4/26/2013)

Copy. Paste. Email to Mrs. Scary...

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1447205
Posted Friday, April 26, 2013 7:03 PM

SSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 8:32 AM
jasona.work (4/26/2013)

Just make sure it's not these "canucks"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
Post #1447211
Posted Sunday, April 28, 2013 9:59 AM

SSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 9:35 AM
dbursey (4/26/2013)
jcrawf02 (4/25/2013)
L' Eomot Inversé (4/24/2013)
jcrawf02 (4/24/2013)
Lynn Pettis (4/23/2013)
L' Eomot Inversé (4/23/2013)
Jeff Moden (4/23/2013)
Heh... to complicated. Just take Jason.A to work and let him entertain the kids with stories of GPO's as if they were dragons.

That's too risky; if the kids have been reading the wrong stuff they'll be seeing the GPO's as heroic dragons and the DBAs as foul thread.
Safer would be to present the sysadmins as evil sorcerors casting foul black magic spells upon the system's GPO defenses to make them betray their purpose and harm the system instead of defending it.

How many others caught the reference to the Dragon Riders of Pern??
Is the inference that Anne McCaffrey is "the wrong stuff"?
Yes, but only in the sense that if the kids had read her it would make the "evil dragons" story seem a bit odd. That of course would be a good thing, since a dragon is a man's best friend and reading McC would give the kids some defence against corruption by stories of nasty dragons because they would know that all dragons are nice, wouldn't it.
Ha! Gotcha.

Hmmm, where do the hapless dev's fit into this story? I don't want to be a villager!!! Or even one of the aristocracy! I want my own white dragon, that's what I want.

Oh, the devs are the harpers of course. What else could we imaginably be?

Tom
Post #1447330
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««3,9533,9543,9553,9563,957»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse