Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««3,9453,9463,9473,9483,949»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, August 7, 2014 7:44 PM
Brandie Tarvin (4/19/2013)
Stefan Krzywicki (4/19/2013)
Brandie Tarvin (4/19/2013)
Stefan Krzywicki (4/19/2013)
This is ... interesting. The town I live in is shut down for a manhunt. MBTA completely shut down. Thanks to the magic of technology, it is still a work day, but man what a weird week. The manhunt is in Watertown, I'm in Newton, both (and several others) are shut down. Hope everyone else in the area has already heard to stay home and inside and is safe.

I've been watching that on Twitter. The Red Cross has posted several tweets on how to keep safe and put your name on a "I'm safe" contact list. I've been retweeting these links as I see them. (WannaBeWriter06). Should I post the link here?

Yeah, I've already let everyone I know know that we're fine, but I bet the link would be helpful for other people too.

Thanks Brandie.

Hrm. Their list was not what I thought it was. It's a Shelter-in-Place document. @RedCrossEastMA on Twitter twitter.com/RedCrossEastMA.

Public transportation is shut down completely, BTW.

Yeah, with public transportation shut down, Boston was essentially shut down anyway.

--------------------------------------
When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Post #1444386
Posted Sunday, April 21, 2013 4:44 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 5:23 AM
dbursey (4/18/2013)
From the other side of the fence - I've asked questions here and got ripped a new one because I didn't provide actual examples - sometimes it's hard to figure out how to provide a meaningful example. If I have a codestream that goes on and on, but there's one part that is failing, I think to myself, "this may be a simple thing I just don't know, but someone with more experience may have a direction for me to look if I just provide the error and a description of what I'm trying to do." It does happen - sometimes I know what a problem is just from the error message, so I can help someone else without making them feel like they've committed a mortal sin. Furthermore, I always Google first, go to BOL, etc. Sometimes I STILL can't find an answer I can understand. Finally, I've asked "best practices" and "what's your opinion" questions and gotten blasted for not providing specifics. It's not a question on a specific problem - it's me looking to see what the consensus is for best practices because I'm always on a mission to learn, and I know many people here are experts. It doesn't happen every time - I've certainly gotten help here, too, for which I am grateful - but it happens frequently enough (and interestingly enough, that seems to come in waves, too) to make me always think twice before I ask a question. Is it a bad thing to try and learn something from another human after you've read one incomprehensible blog posting and book after another and you still don't feel you have a firm grasp of something? If you're the lone tech geek somewhere, you're gonna ask "stupid" questions, so a little patience is a virtue. And yes, I've seen the "I can't be bothered to Google/research it" questions, but that's not the case with EVERY "stupid" question.

Donna

Welcome to the Thread.

You're right. It's very wrong of us here to be unhelpful and unwelcoming even if the question doesn't provide enough information to enable us to supply a meaningful answer. It's something I've been more mindful of lately, but I appreciate the input and reminder.

Never hesitate to ask a question and never hesitate to call us out on bad behavior.

And always, if you need a little special help, come by the Thread here.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1444787
Posted Sunday, April 21, 2013 4:47 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 5:23 AM
WayneS (4/18/2013)
Grant Fritchey (4/18/2013)
Late to the game, but well done Jason & Wayne.

Thanks Grant.
BTW... are you the next MCM from the SSC group?

Ha! Doubtful. That requires actual brains & skills. I don't have a single MS certification.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1444788
Posted Sunday, April 21, 2013 5:50 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 6:20 AM
ChrisM@Work (4/19/2013)
Sean Lange (4/18/2013)
patrickmcginnis59 10839 (4/18/2013)
Time and again I've read in the news folks absolutely ruin their own lives over dumb forum stuff even when posting under what they perceive as an anonymous handle. But yeah, I hear you about that 12 step program!

LOL That may be exactly why I don't have a "handle". ...

If you had a handle, you would be a teapot.

I have many handles. Mostly love handles.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh!

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?
Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.
Splitting strings based on patterns can be fast!
Post #1444831
Posted Monday, April 22, 2013 5:46 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 2:17 PM
That's very kind, and I appreciate it! I appreciate the other responses here, as well.

Thanks --

Donna
Post #1444934
Posted Monday, April 22, 2013 5:55 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:14 AM
So this morning as I'm getting ready for work, I can't find earrings to match my shirt and I say "I need more jewelry."

The SO looks at me for a moment and then says "There is no response to that comment that I can make that won't get me in trouble."

Hee. I have trained him well.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database Administrator

Webpage: http://www.BrandieTarvin.net
LiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/
On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.

Freelance Writer: Shadowrun
Latchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Post #1444937
Posted Monday, April 22, 2013 6:43 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 8:11 AM
Brandie Tarvin (4/22/2013)
So this morning as I'm getting ready for work, I can't find earrings to match my shirt and I say "I need more jewelry."

The SO looks at me for a moment and then says "There is no response to that comment that I can make that won't get me in trouble."

He is incorrect. The appropriate response is to say "Yes, darling, I felt the same way, that's why I bought you these..."

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #1444955
Posted Monday, April 22, 2013 6:57 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 9:38 AM
jcrawf02 (4/22/2013)

He is incorrect. The appropriate response is to say "Yes, darling, I felt the same way, that's why I bought you these..."

Have to agree with Jon on this.
"There is no response to that comment that I can make that won't get me in trouble" is the response to several comments including "Does my butt look big in this" - when it clearly does.
Defensiveness by rote is but one indicator that he's in need of a night off with the boys

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Post #1444962
Posted Monday, April 22, 2013 7:04 AM

SSCertifiable

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:14 AM
The problem is he doesn't know jewelry from boo. He'd be just as likely to get me something hideous as he would to luck out and get me something pretty. So we've agreed that he will only buy me jewelry when I specifically point something out to him and say "That."

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database Administrator

Webpage: http://www.BrandieTarvin.net
LiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/
On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.

Freelance Writer: Shadowrun
Latchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Post #1444967
Posted Monday, April 22, 2013 7:04 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, August 7, 2014 7:44 PM

Hopefully you have a con coming up soon and can fulfil this need.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Post #1444968
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««3,9453,9463,9473,9483,949»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse