Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««3,9423,9433,9443,9453,946»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 6:05 AM
Brandie Tarvin (4/18/2013)
GilaMonster (4/18/2013)
Forum points: A measure of how much time is spend not doing productive work.

Hey! This is productive. (SET @PompousVoice = ON) I'm building my brand and borrowing solutions from fellow posters.

Yeah, yeah. Keep telling yourself that.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1443887
Posted Thursday, April 18, 2013 8:29 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:26 AM
Got in this morning, plugged my laptop into the docking station and the SSD failed. Hooray technology?

--------------------------------------
When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
--------------------------------------
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Post #1443903
Posted Thursday, April 18, 2013 8:32 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:38 AM
patrickmcginnis59 10839 (4/18/2013)

Also, keep in mind, many of the "highly rated" posters actually get points for posting rote replies like "see this post for instructions on how to submit your question," so the incentive system here is particularily slanted toward providing "copy paste" answers even without studying the question the answer is posted to in any reasonable detail. Just my 2 cents!

If so many of the posters weren't so consistent about not providing enough details to answer a question I would have probably half as many points as I do...maybe less. There are dozens of posts every single day where somebody wants us to provide a detailed query and we don't have ddl or even all the business rules. The reason we ask for these things is because we don't like writing multiple answers for the same problem because not enough information was provided initially.

While it is true that often we could build the sample data from the disaster that was posted we are volunteers. If Red Gate decided they wanted to pay me for parsing messily posted data into something consumable I would be more willing to do it. Since they don't, I don't too often spend my time assembling that into something usable.

Instead of just viewing the issue and ignoring it I try to tell the OP what they can do to get the help they are seeking. How many threads do we see with 20 or 30 views and zero responses? Many people don't bother to take the time to help these people understand what they can do to help themselves. Then the people who do take that time get ridiculed as being points hoarders. I guess I chose not to be anonymous and ignore these people. Instead I try to help these people get pointed in the right direction.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1443908
Posted Thursday, April 18, 2013 8:51 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:39 PM
SQLRNNR (4/17/2013)
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/17/2013)
Congrats to both Jason and Wayne for their MCM achievements.

Thanks Steve

+1

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1443920
Posted Thursday, April 18, 2013 8:55 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/17/2013)
Congrats to both Jason and Wayne for their MCM achievements.

Thanks Steve

Wayne
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1443923
Posted Thursday, April 18, 2013 8:56 AM

SSCertifiable

ChrisM@home (4/17/2013)
SQLRNNR (4/17/2013)
ChrisM@home (4/17/2013)
WayneS (4/17/2013)
Jason
Congratulations!

Awesome! Well done Jason!

Wayne, is that you too?

Thanks Chris

And yup Wayne and I received our news on the same day.

Heh fantastic! That's quite an achievement!

Thanks Chris!

Wayne
Post #1443924
Posted Thursday, April 18, 2013 8:57 AM

SSCertifiable

Chad Crawford (4/17/2013)
Congrats Wayne and Jason - quite a feat, well done!

Chad

Thanks Chad

Wayne
Post #1443926
Posted Thursday, April 18, 2013 8:58 AM

SSCertifiable

Koen Verbeeck (4/17/2013)
SQLRNNR (4/17/2013)
WayneS (4/17/2013)
Jason
Congratulations!

Congratulations!
right back at you Wayne!!!!!!!

Congratulations to you both, and well deserved!

Thanks Koen

Wayne
Post #1443927
Posted Thursday, April 18, 2013 9:14 AM

SSCertifiable

Jeff Moden (4/17/2013)
First, a very hearty congratulations to the new MCM's!

Out of shear curiosity, how much (including the prerequisites) would you say you had to spend to get the MCM?

Thanks Jeff!

The prerequisites are to have both MCITP: Database Developer and MCITP:Database Administrator
I don't remember how many exams it took to get these (for 2012, there are 5 exams), and they now cost $125(?) each.
The MCM Knowledge exam costs $500.
The MCM Lab exam costs $2000. ($2500 if you use remote proctoring)
So, a minimal cost of $3125.
Plus retakes. (Very few people pass the MCM exams the first time around... and no, I didn't pass the Lab my first time)
Microsoft will sometimes have discount coupons available.

This is just the exams. If you feel the need for training, add more. (Personally, I suggest the SQLSkills Immersion Events. Hey... this is from the guy that wrote a lot of the SQL internals and who created the original MCM program (called Rangers back then). There classes are something like $3000 per week. But you will learn!!!)

Wayne
Post #1443932
Posted Thursday, April 18, 2013 9:14 AM

SSCertifiable

Jo Pattyn (4/18/2013)
Congratulations Wayne and Jason with your MCM

Thanks Jo

Wayne
Post #1443933
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««3,9423,9433,9443,9453,946»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse