Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««3,9303,9313,9323,9333,934»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 8:26 AM
SQLRNNR (4/2/2013)
jasona.work (4/2/2013)
You know, silly thing, but it'd be nice if you could specify credentials for a Windows Auth connection in SSMS...

I've got two logins, one for "normal" use which has no access to SQL, and an "admin" login which does. Sure I can right-click and run as, but that's a nusciance, and 30 seconds out of my day each time...

And it is this sort of crap that causes people to just use their admin login all the time.

Either you have the perms or you don't. Make it simple and just have the one login.

Just an FYI, this was a firing offense at JDEdwards, and for good reason. We had numerous people click on an email or hit a web page that downloaded a virus, which caused company wide issues.

It was a pain, though I'd argue now that you can use SSMS and leave it running as an admin while the rest of your machine is quarantined off as a non-admin.

Or use a VM that is logged in as your admin, but browse, email, etc. on a normal login.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1438499
Posted Wednesday, April 3, 2013 11:17 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 8:26 AM
I'll take my H2O straight, brewed, fermented, or back.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1438501
Posted Wednesday, April 3, 2013 1:05 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 11:54 AM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/3/2013)
I'll take my H2O straight, brewed, fermented, or back.

I prefer it as part of a single malt distillate, but brewed is good enough for most occasions.
Post #1438546
Posted Wednesday, April 3, 2013 7:00 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 4:09 AM
jasona.work (4/3/2013)
Lynn Pettis (4/3/2013)
I'm curious, how do most of you like your dihydrogen monoxide, straight or flavored?

Depending on the time of day, either straight or filtered through ground-up and roasted Coffea arabica or Coffea robusta...
You know, just gotta have the daily dose of 1,3,7-trimethyl-1H-purine-2,6(3H,7H)-dione 3,7-dihydro-1,3,7-trimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

My preference is filtered through PNG Blue Mountain.

http://coffee-png.blogspot.com/

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh!

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?
Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.
Splitting strings based on patterns can be fast!
Post #1438631
Posted Thursday, April 4, 2013 10:58 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 8:43 AM
Hotel booked for SQLBits. Almost forgot all about that so a nice refreshing 20 minute walk in the morning!

Just got to decide which SQLSaturday's I can attend and what days on the UK SQLRelay I can make.

Sadly can't make SQL in The City as I'm rather unfortunately attending the DR / HA SQL Skills training in London that week! Which I think gives me more than a good excuse. Sadly can't make my home town Relay event for the same reason...

Rodders...

Post #1438910
Posted Friday, April 5, 2013 5:57 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:41 AM
rodjkidd (4/4/2013)
Hotel booked for SQLBits. Almost forgot all about that so a nice refreshing 20 minute walk in the morning!

I'm in Castle Marina Premier Inn, which according to Google maps is 2.6 miles away by car or a 45 minute walk

Not a DBA, just trying to learn

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better, quicker answers on SQL Server performance related questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

If you litter your database queries with nolock query hints, are you aware of the side effects?
Try reading a few of these links...

(*) Missing rows with nolock
(*) Allocation order scans with nolock
(*) Consistency issues with nolock
(*) Transient Corruption Errors in SQL Server error log caused by nolock
(*) Dirty reads, read errors, reading rows twice and missing rows with nolock

LinkedIn | Blog coming soon (for sufficiently large values of "soon" )!
Post #1439168
Posted Friday, April 5, 2013 6:09 AM

SSCrazy

Cadavre (4/5/2013)
rodjkidd (4/4/2013)

I'm in Castle Marina Premier Inn, which according to Google maps is 2.6 miles away by car or a 45 minute walk

Nice.

So I take it you will jogging there and back then?

I hate distances like that. Too far to walk, to short a drive for the car to get warmed up, engine and heater that is!

Rodders...

Post #1439170
Posted Friday, April 5, 2013 6:16 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 8:10 AM
Cadavre (4/5/2013)
rodjkidd (4/4/2013)

Might try booking there this weekend. I stayed a couple of nights at a Premier Inn 10 miles away at East Midlands airport recently and in Birmingham two weeks ago and they were both memorable - great staff, awesome grub, perfectly acceptable rooms.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Post #1439171
Posted Friday, April 5, 2013 6:34 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:41 AM
rodjkidd (4/5/2013)
Nice.

I hate distances like that. Too far to walk, to short a drive for the car to get warmed up, engine and heater that is!

Rodders...

I most certainly will not be jogging! I don't know how I'm getting back and fourth though. . . I can't justify driving unless the weather is terrible because it's too close, but I've never been to Nottingham so a walk will probably just involve me getting lost

ChrisM@Work (4/5/2013)
Might try booking there this weekend. I stayed a couple of nights at a Premier Inn 10 miles away at East Midlands airport recently and in Birmingham two weeks ago and they were both memorable - great staff, awesome grub, perfectly acceptable rooms.

Touch wood, I've not stayed in a bad one. I use them whenever I need to visit a client, or visiting family, or having a night out, or weekend away etc etc

Not a DBA, just trying to learn

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better, quicker answers on SQL Server performance related questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

If you litter your database queries with nolock query hints, are you aware of the side effects?
Try reading a few of these links...

(*) Missing rows with nolock
(*) Allocation order scans with nolock
(*) Consistency issues with nolock
(*) Transient Corruption Errors in SQL Server error log caused by nolock
(*) Dirty reads, read errors, reading rows twice and missing rows with nolock

LinkedIn | Blog coming soon (for sufficiently large values of "soon" )!
Post #1439173
Posted Friday, April 5, 2013 6:52 AM

SSCrazy

Cadavre (4/5/2013)
rodjkidd (4/5/2013)
Nice.

Rodders...

I most certainly will not be jogging! I don't know how I'm getting back and fourth though. . . I can't justify driving unless the weather is terrible because it's too close, but I've never been to Nottingham so a walk will probably just involve me getting lost

ChrisM@Work (4/5/2013)

Touch wood, I've not stayed in a bad one. I use them whenever I need to visit a client, or visiting family, or having a night out, or weekend away etc etc

Well you could always join Steve Jones as he does like his morning run! Only joking. That will be an interesting walk back if you are planning on getting "involved" with the evenings activities

I would have thought there will be a few people staying there so a car / taxi share might be on the cards.

Not been to that part of Nottingham, so no idea how easy it is to get lost around there.

But Chris will keep you company at least!

Rodders...

Post #1439182
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««3,9303,9313,9323,9333,934»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse