Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««3,9033,9043,9053,9063,907»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 4:21 PM
Evil Kraig F (3/4/2013)
Clean CLR isn't what scares my DBA's, it's letting my app coders loose with it.

Oh how things have changed!
I remember the days when what scared us developers (users owned the data, of course, but we owned the databases including how the data was represented/mapped into schemata) was letting DBAs have update access to the data (and sometimes even read access). And of course this was even more so when we developers were the users (as with Software CAD systems, Formal Development Methods systems, and so on).

Tom
Post #1426366
Posted Monday, March 4, 2013 12:25 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Monday, December 15, 2014 2:26 PM
L' Eomot Inversé (3/4/2013)
Evil Kraig F (3/4/2013)
Clean CLR isn't what scares my DBA's, it's letting my app coders loose with it.

Oh how things have changed!
I remember the days when what scared us developers (users owned the data, of course, but we owned the databases including how the data was represented/mapped into schemata) was letting DBAs have update access to the data (and sometimes even read access). And of course this was even more so when we developers were the users (as with Software CAD systems, Formal Development Methods systems, and so on).

I think the change comes from who's considered on the first contact list, Tom. Most developers these days aren't contacted until well after the DBA is awake, evaluated the errors, and determined its an app error. There's too many environmental things that the devs kick back with 'it works in dev!' that they get stuck with.

In our case, and with a lot of the code that's previously gone through this system (and I admit, a few of my own when I was rushed) I can't blame their paranoia. My office isn't even the worst offender and we make them pretty cagey.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Post #1426407
Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 9:29 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 2:40 PM
Several years ago my oldest daughter's JV soccer coach once confieded "I knew we were in trouble when half the team asked what was offsides?"

Well, I've just seen the equivalent here with the question "What is SSMS?"

And you are doing what with SQL Server???

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1427749
Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 9:38 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 4:42 AM
Lynn Pettis (3/6/2013)
Several years ago my oldest daughter's JV soccer coach once confieded "I knew we were in trouble when half the team asked what was offsides?"

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. Be afraid, be very afraid!

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh!

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?
Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.
Splitting strings based on patterns can be fast!
Post #1427752
Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:16 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Really?? You have to be kidding.

Lynn Pettis

For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables

Post #1427766
Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:25 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 4:42 AM
Lynn Pettis (3/6/2013)

I'm tempted to violate my mantra and post a script that dumps all table names into a temp table and then CURSORs through dropping each table using Dynamic SQL (no need to worry about SQL injection after that bad boy runs).

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh!

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?
Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.
Splitting strings based on patterns can be fast!
Post #1427769
Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 8:08 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 1:57 PM
dwain.c (3/6/2013)
Lynn Pettis (3/6/2013)

I'm tempted to violate my mantra and post a script that dumps all table names into a temp table and then CURSORs through dropping each table using Dynamic SQL (no need to worry about SQL injection after that bad boy runs).

To violate the unwritten, but oft spoken, rule... Here's some code! :)

let it be known... DO NOT use this... this is a joke (and there are numerous intentional errors). The real question... if you are going to use dynamic sql... why use a cursor?

DECLARE @SQL AS NVARCHAR(MAX)
SET @SQL = STUFF((SELECT 'DROP TABLE dob.[' + t.[TABLE_NAME] + '];
'
FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES l
WHERE t.[TABLE_TYPE] = 'BASE TABLES'
ORDER BY t.[TABLE_NAME]
FOR XML PATH(''), TYPES).value('.', 'VARCHAR(-1)'), 1, 0, '')
EXE(@SQL)

Post #1428009
Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 8:23 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 2:58 PM
Lynn Pettis (3/6/2013)

And I thought only the parents were that clueless about soccer here in the States.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1428018
Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 8:31 AM

SSC-Insane

Sean Lange (3/7/2013)
Lynn Pettis (3/6/2013)

And I thought only the parents were that clueless about soccer here in the States.

Someday when we are in the same town and have some time, I'll explain the dynamics of soccer in the area I live and why I wasn't surprised by this comment.

I do plan on meeting many of the Threadizens at some point.

Lynn Pettis

Post #1428023
Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 8:51 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 2:58 PM
Lynn Pettis (3/7/2013)
Sean Lange (3/7/2013)
Lynn Pettis (3/6/2013)

Someday when we are in the same town and have some time, I'll explain the dynamics of soccer in the area I live and why I wasn't surprised by this comment.

I do plan on meeting many of the Threadizens at some point.

I too would like to meet many Threadizens.

Sadly where I live, many of the coaches don't understand offsides. I frequently even am forced to remind the "refs" of the rules. For example, last season my team stole the ball after a goal kick and scored. Even though it was our goal I had to remind the ref that a goal kick must get out of the box before the opposing team may touch the ball. One of the refs even once gave a corner to the team by their own goal!!! When I told them they got it wrong they were so confused they tried to give our team a corner.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1428036
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««3,9033,9043,9053,9063,907»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse