Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««3,3783,3793,3803,3813,382»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 4:41 AM
Stefan Krzywicki (1/17/2012)
And no Sparse? That extends to SQL Server? They just added that! I have it all over my tables.

Errr... No Sparse files (which is what snapshots use).

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1237311
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:26 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, August 7, 2014 7:44 PM
GilaMonster (1/17/2012)
Stefan Krzywicki (1/17/2012)
And no Sparse? That extends to SQL Server? They just added that! I have it all over my tables.

Errr... No Sparse files (which is what snapshots use).

Ah, ok, still not good, but when I see it listed like that and have no time to delve further, I had to ask.

--------------------------------------
When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Post #1237318
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:29 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

The quote is from a filesystem-related blog, mentioning the file system features that the new ReFS won't support

Gail Shaw
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

Post #1237321
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:43 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:37 PM
SQLRNNR (1/17/2012)

There's that, and some big money at stake. Somebody is also probably up for re-election or out to make a big name for him/herself.

I'm not sure how big the money is here. I think lots of the $$ thrown about in losses or exaggerated.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1237330
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:50 AM

SSC-Forever

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/17/2012)
SQLRNNR (1/17/2012)

There's that, and some big money at stake. Somebody is also probably up for re-election or out to make a big name for him/herself.

I'm not sure how big the money is here. I think lots of the $$ thrown about in losses or exaggerated.

I suspect Jason was talking about the amount of 'contribution' money thrown around.

Those loss figures that get banded around are just silly. Read an article last week that investigated the origins and found that they weren't even about internet piracy, they were about counterfeit goods originally, and very, very old (fake rolexes, etc)

Gail Shaw

Post #1237335
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:03 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:37 PM
GilaMonster (1/17/2012)
SQLRNNR (1/17/2012)

I suspect Jason was talking about the amount of 'contribution' money thrown around.

Those loss figures that get banded around are just silly. Read an article last week that investigated the origins and found that they weren't even about internet piracy, they were about counterfeit goods originally, and very, very old (fake rolexes, etc)

Yes contribution money - especially with that bottom feeder Harry.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1237354
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:10 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, August 7, 2014 7:44 PM
GilaMonster (1/17/2012)
SQLRNNR (1/17/2012)

They've been on about "piracy" for a very long time as a way to explain their dwindling profits. Way back in the 70s they were trying to get blank cassettes and video tapes banned, claiming they couldn't continue otherwise. They weren't banned and they did just fine.

The real problem is they're built in weird ways with too many hangers on demanding too much money. As a result, bands don't make much if anything from their record deals unless they're one of the top few bands and people in movies don't make much unless they're one of the few big stars.

I think most bands would prefer you "steal" their album and then come to a show or buy a shirt.

For example, lets say you have a band and you get signed to a contract. In the contract, you are given an advance of $100,000 and won't see any more money until that advance is paid off in record sales. First, you're not just paying off the $100,000, you're also paying for any promotion costs the label spends on you. Let's say that's another $100,000. Now you're $200,000 in the hole. Not a problem, right? At even only $10 an album, you only need to sell 20,000 cds to break even, right? Wrong.

In the contract, you only get $1 a sale. You need to sell 200,000 cds to break even. Most bands don't get there.

See this explanation by an actual, fairly successful band for a more detailed explanation

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Post #1237359
Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 4:44 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:06 PM
GilaMonster (1/17/2012)
Oh this is fun...

http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarget.com/sql-server/windows-8-refs-and-sql-server/

Quoting from a post that article references (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/16/building-the-next-generation-file-system-for-windows-refs.aspx)
Q) What semantics or features of NTFS are no longer supported on ReFS?

The NTFS features we have chosen to not support in ReFS are: named streams, object IDs, short names, compression, file level encryption (EFS), user data transactions, sparse, hard-links, extended attributes, and quotas.

So no database snapshots and no online checkDB if running a database on the new Windows 8 file system (at least the way it currently appears)

And they're not supporting file-level encryption or compression? Really? I hope that's just a v0.1 thing. I know space is cheap and we have bitlocker, but still...

Since 2000 the databases I've dealt with have been required to deliver a service 24 hours a day 7 days a week, so there's no way any of those systems could imaginably allow the addithion of WITH TABLOCK to the DBCC CHECKDB commands that the automatically scheduled error detection jobs throw at them.
Throughout my career I've had to worry about users who just accumulate masses of junk and can't be bothered to tidy up; so I don't want a FS without a quota system, and since I have usually had to llive within a quota myself I want file level compression.
Since who I care about security, with different keys used to provide acco different sets of people, I would find it very irritating that file level encryption wasn't available, since it would mean rewriting hordes of applications to do their own encryption and decryption; probably need a new key management system too.
So I guess I wouldn't touch ReFS with a bargepole.

Tom
Post #1237852
Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 4:57 AM

SSC-Forever

L' Eomot Inversé (1/18/2012)
Since 2000 the databases I've dealt with have been required to deliver a service 24 hours a day 7 days a week, so there's no way any of those systems could imaginably allow the addithion of WITH TABLOCK to the DBCC CHECKDB commands that the automatically scheduled error detection jobs throw at them.

If that does come to pass (it'll be a few versions of windows away still), then restore backup and checkDB that will be the only remaining option for checkDB without disruption. I can see the people at Redgate (VirtualRestore) smiling already...

Gail Shaw

Post #1237861
Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:14 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:23 PM
I assume I'm not the only one who sees no content (well really only the word "content") in the body of today's featured article Stairway to Server-side Tracing - Level 7: How to Automate SQL Traces using SQL Jobs and SSIS.

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Post #1237944
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««3,3783,3793,3803,3813,382»»»