Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

Create database using Backup file Expand / Collapse
Author
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:46 PM
Can
Post #749765
Posted Wednesday, July 08, 2009 5:20 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:46 PM
First of all, I apologize for the previous 3 posts. I kept getting an error when I previewed my post and then tried to post it. I tried deleting these posts, but am getting an error doing that as well...

I also want to create a new database from a full backup file on a different server. I was able to do this, but the new database isn't quite in the same state as the old one. I have 2 differential backup files from the old one that were created after the full backup. Can I apply these differentials to the new database? I kept getting an error. (why do I keep getting errors with everything I do?!?)
Post #749766
Posted Friday, July 10, 2009 8:01 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:41 PM
First, if there were two differential backups taken after the last full backup you are restoring and you want the data as current as the second differential, you only need that one file. Second, if you did not restore the full backup with the NORECOVERY option specified, you will need to redo the restore using this option and then you can apply the latest differential backup using restore database.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #751508
Posted Saturday, July 11, 2009 5:37 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:08 AM
reefshark (7/8/2009)
I kept getting an error. (why do I keep getting errors with everything I do?!?)

as Lynn says, you need to restore the database full backup with NORECOVERYas follows

RESTORE DATABASE mydata FROM DISK = 'D:\somepath\somefile.BAK'
WITH NORECOVERY

then restore the last differential (differentials are accumulative, so only the last needs applying)

RESTORE DATABASE mydata FROM DISK = 'D:\somepath\somefile.BAK' 
WITH RECOVERY

shout back if you're still stuck

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #751564
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2013 2:08 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, April 11, 2014 1:34 AM
I tried to create database form another database or backup file,
Please see in the below url

http://ssis-tutorial-online.blogspot.in/2013/04/create-new-database-from-backup-of.html
Post #1445801
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse