Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Tips for New DBAs Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:36 AM

Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, December 9, 2013 1:26 PM
blandry (11/18/2008)
Are you aware that not everyone is going to work at the CIA every day? ... sorry for the rant - but this has to be said in respect for hard working DBAs who are not working with James Bond and MI6 or the CIA.

I hope that you realize that the author was not referring to USA's Central Intelligence Agency. You were probably saying this tongue in cheek. ;)

Paul DB
Post #604394
Posted Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:38 AM

Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Monday, December 9, 2013 1:26 PM
Awesome article.

Petition
I wish there was a collection of these articles we could give to newbies. I'm sure that most are already written and just waiting to be grouped. The requirement for admittance could be a need-to-know article with a minimum 4-star rating.

Paul DB
Post #604395
Posted Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:52 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, April 25, 2014 9:08 AM
Excellent article. CIA is the main purpose of a DBA.

All future DBA's and all managers of DBA should read this.
Post #604405
Posted Tuesday, November 18, 2008 8:21 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, October 17, 2014 9:46 AM
sadara (11/18/2008)
i've often felt less of a hero, more of a priest. i'd rewrite the 'hero' tip a little:

Tip Number Two: No Priests...
This kills two birds with one stone by giving you first-hand knowledge of the documentable processes and also helps the organization to exorcise its dependency on priests.

the biggest problem you'll have is persuading the rest of the organisation to make the paradigm shift from the roman catholic model to the protestant model.

I found this hilarious! Thanks.

The most difficult DBA of all is the tribal shaman, with secret knowledge no one can ever divine. IMO the DBA should be a champion of good practices within IT, and a vital part of the team. I appreciate you have a lot of work to do; so do we all. I am a Data Architect, and I will tell you, I am NOT a DBA and there are things I don't know! I work on 4 different RDBMS and there is no way I can match the DBA on system specific knowledge. But I am always eager to learn and I need a solid DBA who will make my designs work, and will work with me when they don't.

Can't wait to read the rest.

Kate The Great
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, where will you find time to do it again?
Post #604435
Posted Tuesday, November 18, 2008 8:59 AM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Friday, January 3, 2014 10:59 AM
Paul DB (11/18/2008)
Awesome article.

Petition
I wish there was a collection of these articles we could give to newbies. I'm sure that most are already written and just waiting to be grouped. The requirement for admittance could be a need-to-know article with a minimum 4-star rating.

It's my hope that my series can contribute toward this vision.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Keep the faith all you SQL Priests, Shamans, Heroes and Legends ;)

~BOT

Craig Outcalt

Tips for new DBAs: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Career/64632
My other articles: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Authors/Articles/Craig_Outcalt/560258
Post #604482
Posted Tuesday, November 18, 2008 9:50 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:07 AM
jeffrey yao (11/18/2008)
Good article to read, and I'd especially echo this:
"The scary part about being a new DBA is that you don't know the extent of what you don't know".
In reality, I believe this also applies to quite a few experienced DBAs.

I loved that line, it's as applicable to DBA as to life
- We don't know what we don't know, BUT we are willing to know
- DBA's learn from mistakes and trial and errors just like everybody else

SQLServerNewbie

MCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2005
Post #604526
Posted Tuesday, November 18, 2008 11:18 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, March 4, 2013 1:33 PM
Excellent article that should be read by all DBAs! It highlights a problem I've seen in my own organization: documentation and knowledge transfer are often given very low priorities. Some managers would rather take the easy route and assign to the "hero" DBA, rather than mitigate the risk by giving other team members the opportunity to learn the process or interact with the customer.
Post #604613
Posted Tuesday, November 18, 2008 2:17 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, October 16, 2014 6:06 AM
Great post.

This reminds me of the good old days about .... "oops, I for got to highlight the 'where' clause"

* Noel
Post #604701
Posted Tuesday, November 18, 2008 8:12 PM

Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:44 PM
Great article!
Post #604812
Posted Wednesday, November 19, 2008 4:19 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 8:05 AM
Great Article especially as I'm an aspiring DBA...slowly getting there.

About Heroes:
I have experienced may instances of contractors and consultants creating a hero persona so that their services can be extended ...for a fee.
They never revel the full deck of cards and always have a ace up their sleeves. (The manager is made to look like a joker.) :P

Permanent staff can also create the Hero persona to secure the job position, and bolster their Ego. :D
Post #605021
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse