Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

SQL Server 2005 Ghost in the Machine Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, September 12, 2014 9:38 AM
Gotta serious ghost in the machine here. I upgraded our dev sql server box from a 1 dual core, 2 gb ram, 1 Raid 5 disk volume to 2 Quad core, 8 gb RAM, 2 RAID 10 Disk volume. Needless to say, it screamed on the new box. About 20 developers were very happy. I am using SQL server 2005 SP2 with Cumulative Service pack 9. Still sounds good? Worked fine on other machines.

So we run with it for the day. About noon, it completely freezes up.

Restart, no biggie.

Check the sql server logs, nothing but one statement saying it is taking a while to retrieve data from MDF file. It then says that windows has requested a shutdown, which we had requested. Nothing at all in the windows event log... Still no biggie.

Run for 2 hours, screaming fast. Developers are in love with SQL Server all over again. I am walking tall.

FREEZE...

Check the sql server logs, nothing but one statement saying it is taking a while to retrieve data from A DIFFERENT MDF file. It then says that windows has requested a shutdown, which we had requested. Nothing at all in the windows event log... Still no biggie.

This freeze starts to happen spurodically throughout the day.

We pull memory, nothing.

We did find that if we shut down Sql Server Agent (3 instances), it won't fail; however, the jobs are pretty big with a few SISS packages scheduled throughout the day. NO BIGGIE.

My sysadmin tells me its SQL server. I am convinced that it isn't; however, you never know and I have seem some weird stuff happen over the years that puzzle me.

I decide I am going to completely un-install SQL-SERVER and install it back. I also am going to drop down to Cumulative Pack 7 (figure 2 back is better than 1).

Fingers crossed...

FREEZE...

I am now convinced that our jobs are the ignition, but not the bomb. Sysadmin feels differently.

Anyone experience something like this or at least can point us in the right direction? We moved this instance from an old server and renamed this to the old server name so that App connections need not change; however, I did notice that our sysadmin forgot to change the name (sp_dropserver,sp_addserver) of the old server. Would that cause this Ghost?

Truly,
Bobby Johnson
(ignore the tone and grammatical errors, its been a very long weekend)
Post #603406
Posted Sunday, November 16, 2008 8:48 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 2:42 PM
This is almost always hardware. Freezing like this could be bad hardware, strange drivers, anything like that.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #603431
Posted Monday, November 17, 2008 2:58 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 2:56 AM
Robert,

In deed looks very strange.

Does your new SQL Server installation goes well without any problem? Have you created test DB and test?

If new installation is working fine:

As you mention it's having problem in finding MDF file; hence I suggest you to detach and attach the user as well as system DB. Hope should work fine.

Also from other computer start SQL Profiler to fetch any error which might give you more visibility.

Good Luck!!!
FM

---------------------------------------------------
"Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary, and those who don't."
Post #603521
Posted Monday, November 17, 2008 6:14 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

I think it is hardware. We are sending it to IBM today.
Post #603609
Posted Monday, November 17, 2008 6:15 AM
SSC Rookie

I did all that you mentioned above. Profiled, etc... Nothing that says it DB.
Post #603610
Posted Monday, November 17, 2008 9:12 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 2:43 PM
Does the new box freeze without SQL Server installed or running?

My bet is hardware too, but that's what every DBA likes to say :)

SQLServerNewbie

MCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2005
Post #603733
Posted Tuesday, November 18, 2008 2:34 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, August 8, 2014 3:25 AM
just out of interest - you upgraded from 2gb of ram to 8gb - did you set /3GB and /PAE in your boot.ini. if so did you do sp_configure 'awe enabled',1 - finally what did you set as the max mem.

maybe i'm barking up the wrong tree though...

MVDBA
Post #604160
Posted Tuesday, November 18, 2008 3:06 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, September 6, 2011 7:51 AM
michael vessey (11/18/2008)
finally what did you set as the max mem.
maybe i'm barking up the wrong tree though...

I've seen SQL servers do this before and it has (as others suggested) been hardware. A memory fault which is only "discovered" as SQL starts to eat its way up through the new RAM (to its max setting). When first started it may only need about 2Gb, then as users hammer away it decides another 2Gb would be good and so on. Then it hits the fault and pukes.

Of course if you're running multiple instances and haven't limited the max RAM they can have... ;)
Post #604177
Posted Tuesday, November 18, 2008 4:17 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 2:56 AM
I fully agreed with FNS.

As I have experience the same thing in my environment. As soon as wintel teams reboot the server works fine and after while again sink.

---------------------------------------------------
"Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary, and those who don't."
Post #604212
Posted Tuesday, November 18, 2008 6:54 AM
SSC Rookie

It will freeze when the SQL Agent is running (which has a massive amount of SQL server jobs)
Post #604341
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse