Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Included index Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, November 13, 2008 7:38 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, September 12, 2014 8:38 AM
Both 2 and 3 are correct.

These days it's very important to know when features were introduced. Include wasn't an option pre-2005. What it does is part 3.

Check boxes mean that there are possibly more than 1 correct answer and you need to select all of them. It's no better or worse than Microsoft certifications with multiple choice questions where multiple answers may be correct.

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
Post #602113
Posted Thursday, November 13, 2008 7:44 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 10:35 AM
If the question is 'what are included columns in 2008', I don't see how 'a new feature introduced in 2005' can be part of the answer. It might be a correct statement but its not an answer to the question as asked.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #602119
Posted Thursday, November 13, 2008 7:53 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Friday, September 12, 2014 8:38 AM
And that's where I would disagree. Included columns in 2008 are a feature that was introduced in 2005. They're nothing new to it.

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
Post #602127
Posted Thursday, November 13, 2008 8:02 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 3:52 PM
I can see where the question is a little ambiguously worded. I shall add a "select all" and award back points to people for this one.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #602145
Posted Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:35 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 6:24 PM
Steve Jones - Editor (11/13/2008)
I can see where the question is a little ambiguously worded. I shall add a "select all" and award back points to people for this one.

Slightly off-topic, but on the Member scores and standings page, my points don't match between Question of the Day and Question of the Day Breakdown. My points in the Breakdown section is higher the Question of the Day section.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #602263
Posted Thursday, November 13, 2008 12:13 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 12:37 PM
Check boxes mean that there are possibly more than 1 correct answer and you need to select all of them. It's no better or worse than Microsoft certifications with multiple choice questions where multiple answers may be correct.

I hate to spill the beans (Steve, wipe this out if you want), but if you see checkboxes on the QOD it always means there is more than one answer. When you put in a QOD, you check the answers that are correct. If you pick only one as correct, it displays radio buttons. If you pick multiple, it will use check boxes. So... if you see check boxes, always select at least two answers...

:)
Chad
Post #602313
Posted Thursday, November 13, 2008 2:03 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 2:43 PM
Chad Crawford (11/13/2008)

I hate to spill the beans (Steve, wipe this out if you want), but if you see checkboxes on the QOD it always means there is more than one answer. When you put in a QOD, you check the answers that are correct. If you pick only one as correct, it displays radio buttons. If you pick multiple, it will use check boxes. So... if you see check boxes, always select at least two answers...

:)
Chad

I don't disagree Chad, but I do agree with the others who read the question and, seeing SQL 2008 in the question, ignored the SQL 2005 answer as I did as well.

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Post #602389
Posted Friday, November 14, 2008 6:10 AM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Tuesday, July 3, 2012 5:49 AM
Hi All,

I have seen this question created a lot of confusion. Here is a humble explanation.

My question was "'What are included columns in SQL Server 2008?"

There is no difference of included index in SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008. Hence, the question is clear. The answer, whatever it is, applies to both SQL Server 2005 and 2008.

I am not discussing the first answer. The second answer was "This is a new feature of SQL Server 2005". This statement is correct because SQL Server 2005 introduced it and SQL Server 2008 just kept the feature same.

The third answer is the actual definition, hence correct.

This two out of three is correct, hence the check boxes are used.

I have tried to make the flat question a tricky one. I am really sorry if there is still any ambiguity.

Cheers...
Post #602660
Posted Friday, November 14, 2008 11:44 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Monday, October 21, 2013 10:48 AM
The third choice is still a little ambiguous. From BOL:
Specifies the nonkey columns to be added to the leaf level of the nonclustered index. The nonclustered index can be unique or nonunique.

The third choice:
non key columns included in addition to the index key columns in an index structure

...makes it sound like they are included in the whole index tree, not just the leaf level.

Post #602991
Posted Tuesday, November 25, 2008 3:20 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Sunday, August 3, 2014 3:41 PM
Trick question!

- how about some recognition for getting it partly right?
Post #608193
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse