Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Fix the Little Things Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 6:23 AM
[b]
Database X has not been backed up in 167 days.
Database Y is in full recovery model but has no log backups. Log drive will fill up in approximately 24.2 minutes at current rate of growth.
Database Z has been shrunk 42 times in the last week and has grown 178 times in the same period. A defragment of indexes and drive is recommended
CheckDB has not been run on Database K in 127 days
... etc, etc...

Hi Gail,

I'm not sure If I read the details incorrectly, but the new policy manager for SQL 2008 should supply just this. You setup the policies it should check on, and you can get a report over the policies that are not being followed.

Another sure bet would be SQLresponse from Redgate. It has a bunch of recommendations based on exactly what you mentioned - you were beaten to the punch on that ;)

p.s I don't work for Redgate, I just love their products :D

Regards

GermanDBA

Regards,

WilliamD
Post #602601
Posted Friday, November 14, 2008 8:40 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 3:21 PM
GermanDBA (11/14/2008)
[quote][b]

I'm not sure If I read the details incorrectly, but the new policy manager for SQL 2008 should supply just this. You setup the policies it should check on, and you can get a report over the policies that are not being followed.

The policies work, but only if the admin knows enough to setup and enable policies. If the person titled DBA doesn't know enough to do backups, what's the chance he's going to put policies in place or buy a 3rd party tool?

I'm talking about something for the situation where the person fulfilling the DBA role is completely clueless about what needs doing.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #602836
Posted Monday, November 17, 2008 1:05 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 6:23 AM
Hi Gail,

I get what you mean. But then again, where does it stop? At some point the person responsible has to have some knowledge of the system he/she has been burdoned with.

There are plenty of accidental DBAs, but would you want them to act blindly on suggestions from the SQL server? You said yourself that someone you knew brought down a production server by doing something that was "too easy".

Some things should not be dumbed down, otherwise I would be out of a job! ;)

Regards,

WilliamD
Post #603499
Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:01 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 10:40 AM
But I'm somewhat amazed how many fragmentation questions, posts, articles, and more that I still see on a regular basis. Shouldn't this be a low level feature of SQL Server that just works? In 2008, or I guess SQL 11 now, should there be any reason for a DBA to monitor this and write custom code to ensure that it's fixed on a regular basis? Should this not be something built into the system?

It's sounds like what we need is something like an 'AUTO REORGANIZE INDEXES' database setting, and then something similar to the Lazy Writer process that sits in the background and performs online incremental reorganization of index pages (a handful at a time) during periods of relatively low resource utilization.
Post #1422563
Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:41 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:39 AM
Steve, FYI...

Not sure if this is me or the email but I clicked the "Join the discussion" link in the email this morning but was brought to following page:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/FindForumThread/97198

Link in the email was:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/746380/293894

I had to search the forums for "Fix the little things" to find this thread.
Post #1422637
Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:53 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 5:37 PM
thisisfutile (2/21/2013)
Steve, FYI...

Not sure if this is me or the email but I clicked the "Join the discussion" link in the email this morning but was brought to following page:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/FindForumThread/97198

Link in the email was:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/746380/293894

I had to search the forums for "Fix the little things" to find this thread.

Me too.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1422651
Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:56 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 5:37 PM
It this not like the backup plan or growth settings that should be configured to a reasonable default out of the box? Of course for large implementations which require careful planning and DBA support these things will be turned off or, at the very least, reconfigured by the expert DBA.

Perhaps this is akin to disk defragging in Windows which, if the grey cells are working, initially was via third party tools then a built in tool and now occurs continually behind the scenes.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1422652
Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:21 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 4:50 PM
Me too and the link to the Finding Fragmentation article results in a FeedBurner 404 Error.

Post #1422671
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse