Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

database 'master' is not valid 9003 error Help!!! Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, July 17, 2009 5:03 AM
hello guys,

I am having the same problem and sql server 2005 is not starting , every solution on the web requires sql server service to be running , or require to connect to SSMS , but to connect to sql server management studio sql server service must be running, i am in terrible condition, please if you guys have any solution.. I have already treid rebuilding master database but even after that nothing is working........... please help.

This is the log file

009-07-13 17:05:43.43 Server Detected 2 CPUs. This is an informational message; no user action is required.
2009-07-13 17:05:43.56 Server Using dynamic lock allocation. Initial allocation of 2500 Lock blocks and 5000 Lock Owner blocks per node. This is an informational message only. No user action is required.
2009-07-13 17:05:43.57 Server Attempting to initialize Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MS DTC). This is an informational message only. No user action is required.
2009-07-13 17:05:44.59 Server Attempting to recover in-doubt distributed transactions involving Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MS DTC). This is an informational message only. No user action is required.
2009-07-13 17:05:44.59 Server Database Mirroring Transport is disabled in the endpoint configuration.
2009-07-13 17:05:44.59 spid4s Warning ******************
2009-07-13 17:05:44.60 spid4s SQL Server started in single-user mode. This an informational message only. No user action is required.
2009-07-13 17:05:44.60 spid4s Starting up database 'master'.
2009-07-13 17:05:44.70 spid4s Error: 9003, Severity: 20, State: 1.
2009-07-13 17:05:44.70 spid4s The log scan number (239:200:1) passed to log scan in database 'master' is not valid. This error may indicate data corruption or that the log file (.ldf) does not match the data file (.mdf). If this error occurred during replication, re-create the publication. Otherwise, restore from backup if the problem results in a failure during startup.
2009-07-13 17:05:44.70 spid4s Cannot recover the master database. SQL Server is unable to run. Restore master from a full backup, repair it, or rebuild it. For more information about how to rebuild the master database, see SQL Server Books Online.
Post #754028
Posted Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:27 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 3:52 PM
Do you have a backup of master?
How did you rebuild the master database and how did you verify that it really did get rebuilt?

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #754283
Posted Friday, July 17, 2009 12:59 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, July 17, 2009 5:03 AM
I rebuild the master database using the command

start /wait \server\setup.exe /qn MSSQLSERVER reinstall=sql_engine rebuilddatabase=1 sapwd=mypassword

I checked the log file and it say completed succesfully .

I am desperate....
Post #754651
Posted Friday, July 17, 2009 1:10 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 3:52 PM
Maybe give Microsoft's customer support a shout. I've heard of a case where the rebuild says it succeeded but didn't, not sure why that could happen. Calling CSS will be a lot faster than getting free assistance here.

It isn't maybe a case where master is somewhere other than the default location and the rebuild put the new files in the default location?

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #754656
Posted Friday, January 15, 2010 7:33 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:26 AM
if you haven't a backup file you must recreate log file. i tried it. it's sucsess.
Post #848266
Posted Friday, March 18, 2011 12:09 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, March 18, 2011 11:56 AM
Here's my side of story on solving this problem.
I'm using SQL Server 2008 Express Edition on Windows 7

Started SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) and got error code 3414
After checking on error log, it was showing

The log scan number (19:136:1) passed to log scan in database 'model' is not valid. This error may indicate data corruption or that the log file (.ldf) does not match the data file (.mdf). If this error occurred during replication, re-create the publication. Otherwise, restore from backup if the problem results in a failure during startup.

But i do not has backup of model or any database present in the "DATA" folder. There's a really simple solution for this.

Go to "Binn" directory of you MS SQL SERVER.
For me its "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL. Server\MSSQL10.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\Binn".
In Binn directory, go to the "Templates" folder.
And there is the model, master and msdbdata database mdf and ldf files which was installed with the MS SQL SERVER.
Replace the database file with the corrupted one.

This works for me.
Hope it works for you because it gets 2 hours for me to solve this problem
Post #1080615
Posted Wednesday, May 9, 2012 5:21 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, May 14, 2012 6:28 AM
Hello harish

Thanks a ton it works perfectly

Thanks

Ayan
Post #1297027
Posted Sunday, July 14, 2013 5:35 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, October 3, 2013 3:43 AM
Hi What do you mean by >> Replace the database file with the corrupted one??
I am having similar issue I can locate the folder and see the files but how to replace them.
Please let me know

Many Thanks
Regards
Puneet

harish_8080 (3/18/2011)
Here's my side of story on solving this problem.
I'm using SQL Server 2008 Express Edition on Windows 7

Started SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) and got error code 3414
After checking on error log, it was showing

The log scan number (19:136:1) passed to log scan in database 'model' is not valid. This error may indicate data corruption or that the log file (.ldf) does not match the data file (.mdf). If this error occurred during replication, re-create the publication. Otherwise, restore from backup if the problem results in a failure during startup.

But i do not has backup of model or any database present in the "DATA" folder. There's a really simple solution for this.

Go to "Binn" directory of you MS SQL SERVER.
For me its "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL. Server\MSSQL10.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\Binn".
In Binn directory, go to the "Templates" folder.
And there is the model, master and msdbdata database mdf and ldf files which was installed with the MS SQL SERVER.
Replace the database file with the corrupted one.

This works for me.
Hope it works for you because it gets 2 hours for me to solve this problem
Post #1473357
Posted Thursday, October 3, 2013 3:29 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, October 3, 2013 3:27 AM
The expression "Replace the database file with the corrupted one." is wrong.
The correct one must be:
Replace the corrupted ones with the database files in Templates directory.

I have test it and it works.

Thnx

------------
When you 've got a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail...
Post #1501079
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse