Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

Implementing Change Data Capture in Microsoft® SQL Server 2008 Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, January 20, 2009 11:21 AM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 11:18 AM
CDCUserName should be in each cdc table. This is the sql/windows login used at the time of the change.

Post #640097
Posted Thursday, April 9, 2009 2:01 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, April 10, 2009 9:11 AM
There's also a video on the SQL Server "How Do I?" Videos page called Provide an Up-to-Date Data Warehouse with Change Data Capture and hosted by Scott Golightly. After showing how to configure Change Data Capture on a database, Scott shows a sample SSIS package that extracts the changed data from the database. These tutorials are a favorite of mine - short and to the point.
Post #694416
Posted Friday, April 10, 2009 7:02 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 9:18 AM
Thanks for the link to the videos.

Post #694792
Posted Wednesday, May 6, 2009 9:42 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 1:56 PM
Thanks for the article. We plan to ETL the CDC data on a nightly basis. Nevertheless, I'm put off by the fact that we can't add columns to tables without disabling/re-enabling CDC. Disabling of course drops the cdc_ table, so goodbye data.

It would be nice if CDC could pick up the new column. DDL changes like this can now be propagated to replication subscribers; it would be nice if CDC could as well.

And what is up with not being able to reindex a CDC-enabled table?
Post #711234
Posted Wednesday, May 6, 2009 4:01 PM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:26 PM

And what is up with not being able to reindex a CDC-enabled table?

I'm a bit puzzled by this. I have CDC enabled tables and I can both rebuild and reorganise the indexes on them. I guess it depends how you perform reindexing. CDC does not let you drop the existing PK as it is used for CDC. If your reindexing scripts go through and actually drop and recreate indexes then this will not work with CDC enabled tables (same applies for transactional replication for that matter), but that is no longer a recommended method to rebuild indexes. However if you use "alter index rebuild/reorganize" functionality this works without an issue with CDC enabled. Maybe I'm missing something though.

Cheers
Roddy
Post #711657
Posted Thursday, May 7, 2009 7:18 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 1:56 PM
However if you use "alter index rebuild/reorganize" functionality this works without an issue with CDC enabled.

You are correct sir!! I was using old syntax. Thanks!
Post #712008
Posted Tuesday, May 29, 2012 3:15 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, June 4, 2012 8:18 AM
We have two tables with triggers already on them. Each table has three triggers, two of which are "Instead of" triggers. Can we still do CDC on these tables?

Joe
Post #1308029
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse