Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Data Farming Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, October 11, 2008 3:40 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 2:28 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Data Farming

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #584469
Posted Monday, October 13, 2008 2:12 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, October 4, 2012 9:20 AM
Unfortunately for me (or is it) as far as I can tell I am the one and only person in the world with the name Shaun McGuile. :D

So I'm not likely to lose any data to anyone with the same name.

Getting people to believe my surname is McGuile and not Mcguile ( a USA corruption) or McGuire is entirely a different matter.

Like the one time I was told by the department of social security that my invalidity benefit cheque would be in the post as they believed I was wheelchair bound - due to the data entry clerk typing an 'r' instead of an 'l' between the i and e in my surname.

I have never been in a wheelchair nor even had a broken bone in my life ;)

I get bills and correspondence address to Mr McGuire on a regular basis.

Hiding under a desk from SSIS Implemenation Work
Post #584697
Posted Monday, October 13, 2008 2:21 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, June 26, 2014 10:04 AM
When it comes to bad data, I've signed up for a few things in my time, entering name/address etc. It amazes me that even though I'd written my surname clearly, (or so I thought), two companies still managed to miss spell it. "Aaines" and "Maines", instead of it beginning with 'h'. If this is quality control used for normal data-entry, then no wonder we get orphaned records, miss-addressed cheques for disability...

At least for me, I know what they're supposed to say and know I can still open the post I receive.

As for telling the companies their mistake, at the moment it's not worth the hassle. Plus, it makes it harder to track me if ID thiefs are trying to match wrongly spelled surnames!

Paul

Paul

Post #584704
Posted Monday, October 13, 2008 4:41 AM

Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, December 19, 2013 2:03 PM
I would be willing to say that there might be such a scenario in the works somewhere in the world; but I question whether those who perform such dastardly deeds are willing to wait 25 years to develop such pseudo-beings. It is way too easy these days to steal an existing identity through social engineering, hacking into poorly secured databases, or stealing that laptop, thumb drive or document that is just laying about and glean the benefits of a mature identity immediately.

Post #584772
Posted Monday, October 13, 2008 6:57 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 7:19 AM
These are some fascinating ideas.

Two thoughts:
1) Although it may be hard in "first world" countries to fake an identity nowadays, there are many countries where the record keeping is not as sophisticated, and where it's much easier to bribe officials if you want to bypass whatever record keeping is in place. Someone with a little patience could create (or steal) hundreds of legitimate looking identities...

2) Once again, you can have all the procedures you want to do something, but they have to be followed to be effective. One of the strange statistics of the recent mortgage meltdown is the charge that large number of sub-prime mortgages were awarded to people who were in the U.S. illegally - many of whom either used fake IDs or in some cases were not asked for standard forms of identification. Go figure...

Post #584848
Posted Monday, October 13, 2008 7:10 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
I can't imagine going through this much effort to create a fake identity when, in fact, the FBI says that stealing an actual identity is usually just a question of taking stuff out of someone's mail box.

Per the latest statistics I read, something like 80% of "identity theft" is children using their parents' IDs, and 80% of the rest of identity theft is done by stealing mail out of mail boxes. (Yes, the first number isn't mentioned by the media when they report on the alarming amounts of ID theft going on. It's not scary enough to sell papers/magazines/advertising air-time.)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #584853
Posted Monday, October 13, 2008 7:21 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 2:28 PM
Those numbers are likely falling. Given the recent banking issues, seems like we're getting less and less bank offers in the mail every day. Less stuff to steal.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #584856
Posted Monday, October 13, 2008 8:18 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 7:28 AM
Bad data happens...

WHen I got my US Passport my last name was spelled wrong. THis with the name taken right off my naturalization papers, which has it right. Luckily the government office that issues passports has good proecdures in place for fixing it, but it also means that my passport has my name wrong in it, with an ammended name in the back, until I replace it in 5 years.
Post #584891
Posted Monday, October 13, 2008 8:26 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 8:49 AM
I had a similar data shadow problem a few years ago, when my husband and I were turned for a bank load due to the activites of another couple in the same town - - and the wife's name wasn't even the same as mine! Very sloppy work on the side of the bank employee, but what if it had been something much more important, like a criminal record.
Post #584906
Posted Monday, October 13, 2008 8:29 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Thursday, October 4, 2012 9:20 AM
Wasn't there the old two driving licence trick being worked by the Hell's Angels in the States.....

When they got arrested or fined they'd use one for ID purposes....

Then when they needed a clean ID for any purpose they'd use the other one....

Hiding under a desk from SSIS Implemenation Work
Post #584912
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse