Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Ideas on resolving error -- "VS_NEEDSNEWMETADATA". Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, October 1, 2008 8:14 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, June 23, 2014 12:32 PM
Hi I am running a large dtsx package and in a data flow task I am getting the following error in the validation of the OLE DB DESTINATION object. Here is the specific error:

[DTS.Pipeline] Error: "component "My_Data reader destination" (337)" failed validation and returned validation status "VS_NEEDSNEWMETADATA".

Not sure where I should look from here I have looked at my source data and the data types and sizes are compatible with the destination.

I welcome any suggestions.
Post #579082
Posted Wednesday, October 1, 2008 9:40 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, November 3, 2010 2:32 AM
This normally occurs if there has been a change to your schema, not to stress, just double click on your input and output and it should resolve itself
Post #579178
Posted Wednesday, October 1, 2008 1:56 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, June 23, 2014 12:32 PM
Thanks,
Post #579359
Posted Monday, December 20, 2010 10:35 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 6:36 AM
I was facing the similar issue. In my case, I was creating the SQL query on run time using script task, storing it in a variable. The default value that I had provided to my variable , one of the column names had the first character in Upper case. But in the script task, while designing the query, the same column had the first character in Lower case. On changing the latter to Upper case solved my problem. Quite strange, but it worked for me.

HTH

Sanjay.
Post #1037289
Posted Monday, April 8, 2013 1:51 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 2:18 PM
I am getting the same error message, I have an OLE DB source that gets a set of columns from a variable that executes a given stored proc.
The data flow task can be individually executed successfully, but if I run the job or the package, it is giving me the error "Description: "component "OLE DB Source" (1)" failed validation and returned validation status "VS_NEEDSNEWMETADATA" ".

Any advise is appreciated.

Things I have tried:
1: remove OLE DB source and destinations and re create it.
2. remove the entire data flow task itself and recreate it.
Post #1440008
Posted Monday, October 21, 2013 4:02 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:04 AM
Help on this please, I am having similar issue.
Post #1506898
Posted Wednesday, October 23, 2013 7:58 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:29 AM
SQListic (10/21/2013)
Help on this please, I am having similar issue.

What have you tried?

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.
Post #1507861
Posted Thursday, October 31, 2013 2:01 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 2:05 PM
try setting DelayValidation to True.
Post #1510416
Posted Wednesday, November 6, 2013 6:55 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 12:26 PM
I have a project that has been running fine for a long time. Recently however I had to change the password to my AS400 ODBC connection string. I had a problem doing this so I ended up deleting the connection configuration XML file and creating it again. I think this cause a problem in my package. Now I am getting a metadata error. Is there something else I have to do once I change the connection?
Post #1512054
Posted Thursday, November 7, 2013 12:39 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, November 7, 2013 2:14 AM
I have always managed to get rid of metadata errors simply by running the project in BIDS step by step. When all previous steps have been executed, open the input and output steps, accept any (sensible) notifications on changes needed, and press OK. BIDS will most of the time detect what has changed in data source.
Using a stored procedure as a data source, though, might be a different story altogether.
Post #1512116
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse