Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Resource Governor Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, September 17, 2008 9:26 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, June 10, 2013 11:21 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Resource Governor
Post #571445
Posted Thursday, September 18, 2008 7:02 AM

UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: Wednesday, January 2, 2013 12:15 PM
useful info! thanks for the article!
Post #571740
Posted Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:10 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 5:54 AM
Thanks for the article.

I have question about the Effective Max %. Assume we have no workload in PoolA, PoolB, and PoolC. Can the Default pool get 100% reources or will it be limited to an Effective Max of 25% regardless? In otherwords, can the behavior be as follows. Give the Default pool 100% resources until a workload comes along from PoolA, PoolB, and/or PoolC and then reduce the Default's resources.
Post #571803
Posted Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:27 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, June 10, 2013 11:21 AM
It would only limit the resource when there is competition to acquire resources.
Post #571876
Posted Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:52 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 2:43 PM
Thanks for the thread, I almost finished reading it
Then I tried to enable my Resource Governor and I got an exception, which explains it
Now I don't have to finish reading the article :P as we won't see Enterprise edition anytime soon

The resource governor is not available in this edition of SQL Server. You can manipulate resource governor metadata but you will not be able to apply resource governor configuration.
Only Enterprise edition of SQL Server supports resource

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.FailedOperationException: Alter failed for ResourceGovernor 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ObjectKeyBase'. ---> Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ExecutionFailureException: An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: 'ALTER RESOURCE GOVERNOR RECONFIGURE' failed. The resource governor is not available in this edition of SQL Server. You can manipulate resource governor metadata but you will not be able to apply resource governor configuration. Only Enterprise edition of SQL Server supports resource governor.
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Bo

SQLServerNewbie

MCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2005
Post #571917
Posted Thursday, September 18, 2008 2:54 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:34 PM
Very well written article! Clear, concise and easy to understand. Thank you.

Nicole Bowman

Nothing is forever.
Post #572163
Posted Sunday, September 21, 2008 8:48 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Today @ 11:29 AM
Thank you for the article. This is a long overdue great new feature. One instance I can immediately think of where it would be useful is when users need access to query production server. Bad practice? I know! But we all live in a real world. Throttling down their queries using resource governor approach described in the article would be a great safeguard to have!

Post #573136
Posted Sunday, September 21, 2008 11:11 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 3:19 AM
Nice article with good info....

Post #573242
Posted Monday, October 13, 2008 12:33 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 7:01 AM
I found the article little wordy (nice article though), wish you could add some pictures (may be visio diagrams) explaining some of the things described, which would have made the reading little more easier.

paul
Post #585057
Posted Wednesday, August 25, 2010 5:44 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Wednesday, May 9, 2012 10:26 AM
When you create your classifier code, can you assign pools according to database? We're looking at copying our ERP database to a different server for reporting purposes and, since "Joe/Jane User" can report from this, I'm anticipating some really lousy queries written against it. Limiting their ability to eat the server could be a very desirable thing.
Post #975276
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse