Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

SSIS - Truncation Warnings Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 9:58 AM
absolutely, the issue wasnt so much how to do it, but how to automat it for 1000 + columns. Not something anyone wants to do one by one.

In the end I generated a dynamic insert statement form system tables to insert one row maxing out all data lengths (all varchar), exported it and used it as a dummy fikle to autop detect. Bit of a pain but not as bad as the alternative!

What would have been ideal is to be able to automatically use the target tables dt's as the source dt's. The table was built from the file spec so they are identical max lengths.
Post #944610
Posted Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:15 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Friday, April 4, 2014 5:29 AM
Hurrah! This has solved a problem that's been bugging me for a few days. Thanks!

Post #985342
Posted Tuesday, September 14, 2010 6:00 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 4:54 AM
This problem occurs while using the data transformations.
SOLUTION
You need to check the length of the attribute should be same at the database as you are setting in the transformation.
Post #985418
Posted Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:05 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, October 16, 2014 8:56 AM
Something strange... i don't think that this problem is in data transformation. In my project i have only source->destination component and same warnings(source external/output and destination input column lengths are the same(as actual table value), but destination external column length is smaller).. And solution to go through all column list and edit their length is... not optimal for large structures.
Post #1117345
Posted Tuesday, July 24, 2012 10:38 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, November 12, 2012 9:56 AM
[quote]ammumariamphilip (6/28/2010)
Hello All

Truncation may occur due to inserting data from data flow column "column_name" with a length of 77 to database column "column_name" with a length of 7."

To resolve this, I had to:

open the Data Flow task
From the source task right click and select
open Advanced Editor.
go to Input and Output Properties tab
expand OLE DB Source Output
Expand External columns and check the specific columns
which give the error and the corresponding length.
This length should ideally be the lenght of the column as designed in your database table.
Now Expand Output Columns
click on corresponding column which gives the error and you vcan notice that the length value won't be the same as that in your external column or your database design .
change Length property of the column to that of the actual table design length and refresh .

I also went to target side:

open Advanced Editor (on OLE DB Destination)
go to Input and Output Properties tab
Click on Refresh button
and also ensure to check the value of the length is reflecting correctly.

The truncation warnings vanished immedaitely :)[/quote]
Post #1334655
Posted Wednesday, October 3, 2012 9:12 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, September 22, 2014 12:42 PM
I applied this solution but it keeps on changing the warning from souce to destination and back and forth.

Here is my issue and it just keep on torturing me.

My source is CSV and I have one column that has length of 50
My destination is OLE DB, and there; that column's length is 15

I have to set the error as ignore and process shows Green but table is empty.

I set the coulm to 15 at source (csv) and warning switches from destination to Source

I do the refresh and warning comes back to destination
Post #1367771
Posted Thursday, October 4, 2012 2:24 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 4:38 AM
Hi zeeaay,

I´m facing the same problem. I opened the advance editor of every step and refresh the metadata but in the Ole Db Destination the metadata is wrong. I'm also using CSV files as the source. It is just a warning and I know that it won't be any error, but a warning symbol in the DFT is not nice.

Any comment would be appreciated

Kind Regards

Paul Hernández
http://hernandezpaul.wordpress.com/
https://twitter.com/paul_eng
Post #1368227
Posted Thursday, October 4, 2012 10:11 AM
Forum Newbie

So would some one a guru of SSIS will be able to rescue us out and the nation. Please do share your success experience and expertise achieved over the years.
sometimes minds just gets frozen and there is no bail out.
Post #1368543
Posted Thursday, October 4, 2012 11:22 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 4:38 AM
Hi all,

Finally, I just erased the Ole Db destination, added a new one and that's all, problem solved. It seems like a sincronization problem between the metadata and the UI. Please let me know if it works for you?

Kind Regards,

Paul Hernández
http://hernandezpaul.wordpress.com/
https://twitter.com/paul_eng
Post #1368600
Posted Thursday, October 4, 2012 1:56 PM
Forum Newbie

Hey Paul,
thanks a bunch. I will try and let you know how it comes up.
Regards,
Post #1368682
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse