Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

An interview with the Exceptional DBA of the Year Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, September 16, 2008 7:27 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 7:24 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item An interview with the Exceptional DBA of the Year
Post #570706
Posted Wednesday, September 17, 2008 6:23 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, August 16, 2012 5:41 AM
Dan, congratulations on being selected Exceptional DBA of the Year. Way to go! Very impressive AND you ride a Harley.
Post #570935
Posted Wednesday, September 17, 2008 7:32 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 5:21 AM
Dan, congratulations on this great award!!! Next year you will have me to compete against! May the best DBA win!

Manie Verster
Developer
Johannesburg
South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)
Post #570993
Posted Wednesday, September 17, 2008 9:28 AM

Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, August 7, 2012 9:32 AM
Dan,

Congratulations on your award...

Here's a followup thought...

Would you consider writing an article on the script you created to automate every database maintenance task and metric collection process for new installs?

I have some things like that, but I'll bet that everyone (including me) could benefit from your experience...

Thanks and Good Scripting!

Larry Hawkes
Post #571103
Posted Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:17 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, January 25, 2013 10:03 AM
Congratulations, Dan. I too would love to have a look at the scripts you've developed to automate maintenance. Now that you're the Exceptional DBA of the Year, here's your chance to extend your "continual[ly] learning and teaching" to a wider audience.

Best wishes,
DR

Post #571146
Posted Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:47 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, July 5, 2010 10:58 PM
Congratulations Dan! Reading the interview was inspiring. Your comments displayed the kind of intentful forward thinking that brought you the award.

I'm interested in the standardization maintenance script and how it handles the different DB requirements. Specifically, how do you address databases where the data does not change often, versus databases where the data changes a lot. Or those that use full text indexes, and those that don't. Or those where the vendor supplied application guidelines indicate YES or NO to rebuilding indexes. Do you perform analysis before building the SQL system and apply one of several preset methodologies? Do you handle all system db's on all systems the same or differently within the script?

With only a few servers and DB's to handle, I keep trying to figure out how best to provide maintenance to what appears to me to be completely different needs. I'm self taught so part of my education is just trying different methods and continuing to read up. I have put off gathering data into some type of a table or report, but want to move this forward.

Post #571182
Posted Wednesday, September 17, 2008 2:33 PM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 7:10 AM
Dan,

This makes me think we need to get you in front of the user group more often! We are really proud of you here in St. Louis. Congratulations!

Kathi

Aunt Kathi
Microsoft
(Former SQL Server MVP)
Post #571323
Posted Wednesday, September 17, 2008 6:17 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 7:09 PM
Outstanding accomplishments, Dan. Well deserved award!

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #571387
Posted Wednesday, September 17, 2008 6:52 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 6:20 PM
Congratulations!

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #571393
Posted Saturday, September 20, 2008 7:42 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 1:29 PM
Thank you all for your comments, and to those that voted for myself and all the finalists. As you can see in the posts I have had a few inquiries regarding the maint. scripts that I utilize and yes I will start putting together an article. It will probably be a multi-part article as my current script file is over 8900 lines of T-SQL. Hope you read my last article in the SSC newsletter on May 21 2008, [url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/NewsletterArchive/2008/05/21/924952#content63130][/url]. But, I first need to finish one I have started. It's on a little process I just completed that reads an outlook calendar (vbscript) and inserts the data into a SQL database. Look forward to meeting some if not all of you at the SQL PASS Summit-2008 in Seattle.

Dan McClain

Post #573004
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse