Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««12345»»»

Missing Indexes in SQL Server 2005 Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, September 17, 2008 5:50 PM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, February 6, 2014 12:59 PM
Eric Inman (9/17/2008)
Great info.

I see a lot of these in all my environments:

CREATE INDEX [missing_index_537_536_MSdistribution_history] ON [distribution].[dbo].[MSdistribution_history] ([agent_id],[time]) INCLUDE ([runstatus], [start_time], [timestamp])

Looks like replication needs some help, but fear would not let me add this!!! Anyone else seeing their distribution DB showing up also?

Looks like MS is keeping to the 80 / 20 rule. They get a product 80% there and leave 20% for us third party folk. :) Case in point: IE7 Pro. SQL Server Central has a great spell checker but some of the other forums don't

Seriously, I would only mess with replication in a test environment that you would have no trouble recreating if you jack it up. Not too surprised that they might have missed an index. This could also be a case where "Your mileage has varried".

ATB

Charles Kincaid

Post #571383
Posted Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:54 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, April 4, 2014 4:40 PM
Excellent article. Thank you.

Also, remember you can get similar information in SQL Server 2005 for a specific query by looking at the xml plan and its missing index section. It can be enabled by running

set showplan_xml on

before executing the query.

---
Timothy A Wiseman
SQL Blog: http://timothyawiseman.wordpress.com/
Post #571920
Posted Thursday, September 18, 2008 10:41 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 8:14 AM
My guess is it involves maybe the replication monitor. This may explain why it takes so much time to load the repl monitor for us. If I find anything of value i will post to a new thread in the replication section.
Post #571975
Posted Wednesday, October 22, 2008 4:55 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Wednesday, May 9, 2012 10:26 AM
Thanks for the article, Ranga, very useful. I look forward to getting our ERP system into 2005 or 2008 as I know they're not doing a good job indexing, but I'm a little leery of altering or adding indexes without some solid backup proof.
Post #590175
Posted Tuesday, November 25, 2008 8:26 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 2:07 AM
Bear in mind also that the DMVs are cleared down not only when SQL Server restarts, but also when databases undergo certain changes of state, such as to or from READ_WRITE.

John
Post #608397
Posted Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:07 AM

SSC Eights!

Last Login: Thursday, February 6, 2014 12:59 PM
John Mitchell (11/25/2008)
Bear in mind also that the DMVs are cleared down not only when SQL Server restarts, but also when databases undergo certain changes of state, such as to or from READ_WRITE.

John

Cool That means that I could programatically define a workload by altering the DB status and not have to restart the whole instance.

ATB

Charles Kincaid

Post #608440
Posted Tuesday, November 25, 2008 6:43 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:06 PM
Wayne West (10/22/2008)
Thanks for the article, Ranga, very useful. I look forward to getting our ERP system into 2005 or 2008 as I know they're not doing a good job indexing, but I'm a little leery of altering or adding indexes without some solid backup proof.

Oh... be careful... the worst part about an ERP system is that it enables folks who have no clue about how databases work or how to get performance out of the system, including index usage, to write 62 table joins with a built in cross join like the one I've recently seen. The old saying of "If you make something idiot proof, only idiots will use it" has a lot of truth to it when it comes to using the wonderful features of ERP's. ;)

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #608780
Posted Thursday, December 4, 2008 8:38 AM
SSC Eights!

Last Login: Wednesday, May 9, 2012 10:26 AM
Jeff Moden (11/25/2008)
Wayne West (10/22/2008)

Oh... be careful... the worst part about an ERP system is that it enables folks who have no clue about how databases work or how to get performance out of the system, including index usage, to write 62 table joins with a built in cross join like the one I've recently seen. The old saying of "If you make something idiot proof, only idiots will use it" has a lot of truth to it when it comes to using the wonderful features of ERP's. ;)

Haven't yet found a 62 table join, the most I've seen in the canned views that they supplied for reporting is probably 7 or 8 as there's pretty much zero T-SQL code in the system. They're doing everything through a 4GL "application server" and wonder why their performance isn't acceptable to us! We just found an error message indicating that they're using cursors in their code, it's going to make for an interesting phone conference this AM....
Post #613749
Posted Wednesday, December 24, 2008 6:47 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, March 14, 2009 11:32 AM
Ranga,

Great info!

Narendra | SQL ADC | ML
Post #625343
Posted Wednesday, December 24, 2008 11:08 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:06 PM
Wayne West (12/4/2008)
Jeff Moden (11/25/2008)
Wayne West (10/22/2008)

Haven't yet found a 62 table join, the most I've seen in the canned views that they supplied for reporting is probably 7 or 8 as there's pretty much zero T-SQL code in the system. They're doing everything through a 4GL "application server" and wonder why their performance isn't acceptable to us! We just found an error message indicating that they're using cursors in their code, it's going to make for an interesting phone conference this AM....

Director of Technology for my old company was evaluating some "real time replication" software that used triggers to do the replication. I asked if I could take a look... not only were they RBAR, but they couldn't handle batch inserts. No matter how many rows you inserted in a single insert, it would only replicate the "first" row it came across. Than was an "interesting phone conference" in the AM, as well. ;)

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #625517
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse