Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Restore with no backup Expand / Collapse
Author

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:15 AM
Okay... we all get your co-worker is "fearless" and has not guts to say "no", the question here is... what did your coworker do before dropping the database? Please don't tell me the first task in his "migration plan" was "drop the target database".

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
Post #561252
Posted Friday, August 29, 2008 8:54 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 3:14 AM
Vika (8/29/2008)
Guys,
The database suppose to be setup on the disk where everything gets backed up automatically but following the written instructions (that had an error in the path!) he set it up on a different disk ( where nothing gets backed up). Database was in use for a while and then it was discovered that it doesn't get backed up.

That's not how you backup a SQL database. Copying the files of an in-use SQL database to tape/other backup device is not going to work properly. You're very likely to get a suspect database if you try to 'recover' from that.

Use SQL's backup mechanism (backup database to..., or maintenance plan) to create database backup files, then back those files up to taps or whereever you put your backups.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #561268
Posted Friday, August 29, 2008 9:18 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:10 PM
You can run something like this to identify databases that have not been backed up in the last n days:

select * from master..sysdatabases db
where (not exists
(select * from msdb.dbo.backupset
where db.name = msdb.dbo.backupset.database_name
and backup_start_date > DATEADD(DAY, -2, (getdate()))))
order by name

Post #561293
Posted Friday, August 29, 2008 9:18 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 7:55 AM
I hope your co-worker and your boss learn a good lesson. Of course somebody never learns from mistake!!!!!! One of my former DBA kept making mistake and her boss kept backing her up. When I pointed out her mistakes, her boss complained to my boss that I was a difficult person to work with!!!!! Oh well!!!!
There is no backup of that database ever? Not even a few months ago?
Post #561294
Posted Friday, August 29, 2008 9:34 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:10 PM
It amazes me that the lack of backups is so common. I will be starting a new job soon, and after finding my desk, the first think I will do will be to find out their backup procedures & verify their backups. I'll run that little script above, find out if/when the backup files get written to tape etc etc ......

Accidents happen, servers crash, things break, corruption occurs, users want to restore data from odd-ball times ..... Sometimes a specific recovery is not possible, but someone in the organization needs to make sure that the basics are covered.

Post #561313
Posted Friday, August 29, 2008 9:35 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:15 AM
Loner (8/29/2008)
When I pointed out her mistakes, her boss complained to my boss that I was a difficult person to work with!!!!! Oh well!!!!

Did you rat her out?
Let me guess... she wasn't pretty and... you definitively are a "difficult person to work with" :D

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
Post #561315
Posted Friday, August 29, 2008 9:59 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:17 PM
when you delete a file, regardless of the recycle bin, the file is still there, but the disk space it used is open for use by other programs...if you hurry and grab an UNDELETE utility, you might still have a chance to recover the mdf and ldf files. google undelete and try any of the utilities you find.

Lowell

--There is no spoon, and there's no default ORDER BY in sql server either.
Actually, Common Sense is so rare, it should be considered a Superpower. --my son
Post #561343
Posted Friday, August 29, 2008 10:31 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Saturday, June 21, 2014 2:00 AM
google undelete and try any of the utilities you find.

But don't install them on the same drives where the mdf and ldf files used to be located on. In fact, don't do anything on those drives.

Ray Mond
Yohz Software
Providing SQL Server database tools for 9 years and counting.
http://www.yohz.com
Post #561360
Posted Saturday, August 30, 2008 1:43 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 12:52 PM
Oh I feel sorry for that guy. But I surprise how the database can be deleted when it is in use. most of the production db's will be continuously in use. And wht happened to your backup. Dont you have proper disaster recovery strategy.

Thanks
Chandra Mohan
Post #561590
Posted Saturday, August 30, 2008 9:16 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 5:37 AM
Lowell (8/29/2008)
when you delete a file, regardless of the recycle bin, the file is still there, but the disk space it used is open for use by other programs...if you hurry and grab an UNDELETE utility, you might still have a chance to recover the mdf and ldf files. google undelete and try any of the utilities you find.

Spot on, Lowell!

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #561711
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse