Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

data archiving Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:03 AM
that mean I need to go thru' trial-and-error? Thanks anyway
Post #559339
Posted Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:35 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 1:47 PM
Heh... no... trust me... I just got done reducing/archiving a 131 million row table to a 44 million row table using the 20k method I spoke of... on a 24/7 system. ;) I don't make recommendations unless I've actually done them (and the related trial and error).

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #560047
Posted Wednesday, August 27, 2008 10:42 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Great, you looks confident! how you do partitioning switching? dynamic queries? manual? how often? weekly? monthly?
using the 20k method? what 20k method?
Post #560114
Posted Thursday, August 28, 2008 6:57 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Depends on what your partitions are based on. Mine are based on a "CampaignID"... any campaign that hasn't had a new row added to it in 90 days gets archived. I just do a select/group by on the CampaignID and the Max LoadDate vs GETDATE() and loop through the campaigns to do the Insert/Delete's. It's actually a double loop... inside loop does the archival insert/delete 20K rows at a time as previously determined by divided the number of rows present for that campaign by 20k.

I can't use a partitioned view to do it because I need to log which underlying table the campaign was in for possible restore processes. As you suggest, a bit of dynamic SQL takes care of all that.

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
Post #560929
Posted Thursday, August 28, 2008 7:02 PM

SSC-Dedicated

Almost forgot... at my previous job, the archive process ran nightly. At my current job, it runs on Monday and Thursday nights. First run may take a day or more to complete, but it's online all the time. After that, the daily jobs (same as the first job) are a piece of cake and may only take a couple of seconds to execute depending, of course, how many rows slip past your cutoff date on any given day.

Some folks have suggested that such a thing be built into a trigger... past experience tells me that will eventually turn out to be a source of deadlocks on high volume systems.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #560931
Posted Thursday, August 28, 2008 10:44 PM
SSC Journeyman

thanks for your explaination. :D
Post #560989
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse