Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

GROUP BY ALL Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 2:33 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item GROUP BY ALL

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Post #545690
Posted Monday, August 4, 2008 1:55 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 4:39 AM
I enjoyed this question (even though the clause is being phased out!) as it was something I wasn't aware of, and it made me go off and research the subject. Now I understand.

Tom

Life: it twists and turns like a twisty turny thing
Post #545913
Posted Monday, August 4, 2008 3:28 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

hodgy (8/4/2008)
I enjoyed this question (even though the clause is being phased out!) as it was something I wasn't aware of, and it made me go off and research the subject. Now I understand.

Tom

Thanks, Tom!

And my apologies to everyone for the lousy formatting of the replies. All "&&"s were supposed to be replaced by line feeds, but that somehow didn't quite work out as expected. I've sent an email to Steve Jones, asking him to correct this, but given that it's deep night in his time zone, I don't expect this to happen for at least a few hours more.

Post #545946
Posted Monday, August 4, 2008 4:59 AM

UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:00 AM
All "&&"s were supposed to be replaced by line feeds, but that somehow didn't quite work out as expected.

I did wonder. My eyes were going a little blurry trying to find the correct answer! :)
Post #545994
Posted Monday, August 4, 2008 6:50 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 4:02 AM
Story of my life....

...I've discovered a new feature, just as it's being deprecated!
Post #546051
Posted Monday, August 4, 2008 11:17 AM

UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:35 AM
Don't feel bad David. You're not alone in this boat.

hmmmm ...... is it your turn to row?

Alvin Ramard
Memphis PASS Chapter

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.
Post #546247
Posted Wednesday, August 6, 2008 12:15 AM
SSCertifiable

Last Login: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 3:19 AM
Nice question.

Post #547280
Posted Wednesday, September 10, 2008 1:11 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Sunday, February 26, 2012 1:57 AM
A very good question. Thanks for posting this.:)
Post #567243
Posted Wednesday, September 17, 2008 11:27 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 11:14 PM
Good question but can anyone help me where this is supports by SQL Server new version.
Post #571485
Posted Thursday, September 18, 2008 1:33 AM

SSCertifiable

archu_223b4u (9/17/2008)
Good question but can anyone help me where this is supports by SQL Server new version.

It's still supported by SQL Server 2008, even though it's on the list of deprecated features. This means that nobody can tell (except maybe a few Mircosoft employees, but they won't) whether this feature will still be available in the next version of SQL Server (2011??), and whether some lower compatibility setting will be required by then.

In other words - start investigating your code now, and if you use this feature, plan to replace your code somewhere over the following years. There's no rush, but you shouldn't postpone it either. And you definitely should not use GROUP BY ALL in new work.

Post #571522
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse