Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Trace Flags 1204 and 1205 output changed? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:03 AM
Hi All

I'm a long time lurker - this is my first post, so hello and I hope you can help! :D

I have just enabled trace flags 1204 and 1205 on a new server, which is at SQL Server 2000 SP4. Funny thing is I am not seeing the output which I expected to see in the event log, I'm not seeing KEY, TAB or PAG references, and also nothing from the buffer.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Has anyone got any ideas how to get all the detail back in the output from these trace flags?

Post #544612
Posted Thursday, July 31, 2008 12:09 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, May 12, 2014 12:57 PM
The 1204 and 1205 only collect information about deadlocks but to write the information to the SQL Server log file, you need to include -T3605

SQL = Scarcely Qualifies as a Language
Post #544620
Posted Thursday, July 31, 2008 1:17 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 7:50 AM
1204 and 1205 write deadlock graphs and associated info into the SQL error log. If you aren't having deadlocks, you won't see anything written. I wouldn't usually suggest using both. 1204 is usually good enough for identifying deadlocks. 1205 can get very, very verbose.

What were you expecting them to be writing into the error log?

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #544673
Posted Monday, August 4, 2008 4:59 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Hi - Thank you for your reply - I have included T3605 - I am getting output to the SQL log - but not what I have seen in the past or what I expected to see! Any other ideas?
Post #545993
Posted Monday, August 4, 2008 11:35 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Thanks for your help guys - I did finally find the cause of my problem:

http://sqlforums.windowsitpro.com/web/forum/messageview.aspx?catid=60&threadid=42001&enterthread=y

Basically this is the output you get when a query use a parallel QEP.

Hopefully that info will save someone else the grief and hours this has taken me to get to the bottom of!
Post #546260
Posted Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:22 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:13 PM
Very helpful information....
I always read that use about trace flag but didn't find info about how to check it's output.

Aim to inspire rather than to teach.
SQL Server DBA
Post #1251935
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse