Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Review - Go Anywhere With MYdbPAL Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 12:29 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bknight/dbpalreview.asp

Brian Knight
Free SQL Server Training Webinars
Post #5446
Posted Monday, July 15, 2002 4:30 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, June 28, 2002 12:00 AM
Like Brian, we found dbPAl excellent, especially for conversion. We'd also agree about the user interface. It is different from anything you'll have used before - but the benefits repay the small investment of time required to become familiar with it.

Post #37478
Posted Thursday, July 18, 2002 6:28 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Friday, January 24, 2003 12:00 AM
I was looking for a tool like this for some time. I'm primairely interested in the conversions between rdbms types, e.g. creating Oracle and informix ddl scripts from a SQL2000 DB. Unfortunately i have a fieldtype which is used very often and it's not correctly converted by MYdbPAL, so a lot of manual work needs to be done to correct this. I am not sure if this unavoidable problem was anticipated somewhere in MYdbPAL like i saw in an other program, where additional parameters could fix this.
Furthermore, there is a lot to do about the interface, which is onorthodox, however i find it very easy to use once you understand the setup. To sum it up :A truely interesting program.

Post #37479
Posted Monday, July 22, 2002 2:50 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, July 22, 2002 12:00 AM
I found dbPAL a very effective tool when faced with the need to extract data from a legacy system which was poorly documented.

x

x
Post #37480
Posted Monday, July 22, 2002 3:08 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Friday, January 24, 2003 12:00 AM
quote:

Unfortunately i have a fieldtype which is used very often and it's not correctly converted by MYdbPAL, so a lot of manual work needs to be done to correct this.

And they wrote a patch for this... this tool has taken the lead in my evaluationslist

Post #37481
Posted Tuesday, May 27, 2003 11:40 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 12:00 AM
I tried it and spent hours trying to get the hang of the interface. It got worse - I had some unusual field types as well and couldn't get hold of these guys - their UK number didn't work. Same with the US one. Have they quit?

Post #37482
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse