Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

uninstall default instance Expand / Collapse
Author
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, July 11, 2014 8:22 AM
Hello

i have a default instance in SQL server 2000 and a named instance in SQL Server 2005 (the two instances are on the same server).
I need to uninstall the default instance , because i do not use SQL Server 2000 any more.
When i uninstall the default instance will my SQL server 2005 instance become a default instance by default? or do i have to do something?
and about the new name of the SQL Server 2005 instance (if it passes by default to default instance) will it change?

Tks,

Pedro
Post #542026
Posted Monday, July 28, 2008 10:56 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:26 PM
The named instance will not become a default instance automatically, nor can it be renamed. The way to make the SQL 2005 instance the default instance would be to intall a default SQL 2005 instance and backup/restore or detach/attach the databases .

Greg
Post #542056
Posted Wednesday, July 30, 2008 8:19 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Friday, January 14, 2011 7:53 AM
Hi, You need to do the following in order to install the SQL Server 2005 default instance.
First you need to uninstall the SQL Server 2000 default instance.
Then install the SQL Server 2005 default instance by choosing that as an option during the installation process.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

Basit Ali Farooq
MCITP Database Administrator
Microsoft Certified Professional Developer (Web Applications)
Microsoft Certified Database Administrator
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator
CIW Security Analyst
Cisco Certified Network Associate
Post #543529
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse