Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««1234»»

How did you learn SQL Expand / Collapse
Author

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
myke (8/7/2008)
I think the most important thing, is actually doing it.

One of the biggest problems i've seen people face learning SQL is that they'll have the technical aspects nailed down pretty well, but they just don't quite "get it". Knowing how to select data is one thing, but being able to sit down and think about what data to pull out and how is another.

Definately use the tutorials and any educational material that works for you - but use that as a starting point. Play around with it a little bit, come up with queries on your own to see what you can do. Try to think of real-life scenarios, and see if you can come up with solutions on your own. Then try to find alternative solutions to the same problem.

Experience > Education a good majority of the time.

Definitely good advice.

I keep a Proof of Concept database. Use it to test new ideas, help on stuff on this page, etc.

I'm always building new tables in there, and then testing all kinds of options on querying them.

On the subject of experience vs education, I think both works best. Best cycle I've ever seen is educate, get experience, educate again, rinse, repeat.

People with no education gain experience more slowly. People with some experience educate more rapidly. But, since you have to start somewhere, some slight education is a great place to start.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #548510
Posted Thursday, August 7, 2008 10:32 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, January 8, 2009 6:13 PM
Still learning SQL -- consider myself a newbie still after 2 yrs becuase I am still learning new things every day -- but I found ; for me and my learning style -
so here are my late-night rambling son the topic....

Understand how the front end app for the given Db works (for me, it is a tracking system).
Study each and every table (ERD be damned). Look at the indexes and triggers for those tables, so you know how the tables 'interact' with each other.

Learn how to do distinct selects.
Learn how to do table samplings (just learned this the other day! pretty cool;) )

Learn how to trap your mistakes, and roll them back.

Learn JOINS. Learn how to write your own views. Learn how to recursively modify data in a given table to fix the inevitable data errors your wonderful programmers will create. (No discussion of cursors.... Choose your own poison).

Learn how to use the tools (execution plans, optimizer, etc). I don;t think they do much good until you understand the underlying nature of the beast.... And our tracking db is a beast....
Post #548851
Posted Friday, August 8, 2008 3:55 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 11:26 AM
Run through this just to get the flavor:

http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp
Post #548975
Posted Friday, August 8, 2008 11:33 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
Still learning SQL -- consider myself a newbie still after 2 yrs becuase I am still learning new things every day....

I'm still learning new things nearly every day, and I've been doing this for nearly 8 years. Hard to consider myself a newbie, but really, I am.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #549453
Posted Friday, August 8, 2008 3:59 PM

Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Monday, July 28, 2014 9:18 PM

Learn how to use the tools (execution plans, optimizer, etc). I don;t think they do much good until you understand the underlying nature of the beast.... And our tracking db is a beast....

Execution Plans? See my post in my blog: http://dbalink.wordpress.com/2008/08/08/dissecting-sql-server-execution-plans-free-ebook/

-Marlon Ribunal

Marlon Ribunal
http://marlonribunal.com
Twitter @MarlonRibunal
Post #549633
Posted Friday, August 8, 2008 8:58 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, January 8, 2009 6:13 PM
GSquared (8/8/2008)
Still learning SQL -- consider myself a newbie still after 2 yrs becuase I am still learning new things every day....

I'm still learning new things nearly every day, and I've been doing this for nearly 8 years. Hard to consider myself a newbie, but really, I am.

GS-
Still a newbie after 8 years makes me feel better... One of the things I love is when our db programmer has me do code reviews... Went from "ummm... whats this mean" to "Why are you joining these 4 tables that way!" & "Hmm.. this query/update procedure he wrote will benefit from a more covered index"... So maybe I am still a newbie, just not a newerbie.. ;) :)
Post #549687
Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 8:07 AM
Valued Member

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 11:26 AM
tutblog1 (9/19/2012)
Want to learn SQL?

Goto easysqlguide.blogspot.in

Easily learn SQL with the help of images.

The OP asked four years ago so maybe he/she picked up on it by now
Post #1361381
Posted Friday, August 9, 2013 5:08 PM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 3:41 PM
Try

http://www.pinaldave.com/
http://www.w3schools.com/sql/
Post #1482978
Posted Sunday, August 18, 2013 7:55 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 9:43 AM
Use Microsoft Virtual labs to practice SQL Server from below link
http://www.zilckh.com/learn-practice-or-explore-windows-softwares-on-microsoft-virtual-labs/
Post #1485584
Posted Saturday, May 24, 2014 6:18 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:54 AM
i am beginner is sql as well, i learned a lor from w3schools and http://www.sqlpentruincepatori.ro
Post #1574295
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««1234»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse