Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Monitoring the performance of Server Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:23 AM
Hi,

I have enabled the Microsoft Perfmon Tool to monitor the performance of Application and Database Server. I've enabled more than 60 counters and logging the monitored data. I want to know, if I enabled more than 60, what would be the server performance. Is Perfmon tool affects any performance. Is tool consumes CPU,Memory etc.

Post #535347
Posted Wednesday, July 16, 2008 10:39 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 12:44 AM
Yes, it will have an effect. How much of one depends not only on the counters but on the frequency that you are logging the events.

I would suggest you try such a trace on one of your testing/development servers to see how much of an impact it has before you set it up on your production server.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #535405
Posted Thursday, July 17, 2008 1:12 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:23 AM
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Actually, i enabled 59 counters to monitor cpu,disk,memory,network,asp.net applications etc. And I cant enabled in testing/development server. The load for these servers are very low. So, I enabled in production. And the frequency for logging is every 1 hour.

And, I cleared the log once a week. I really want to know that perfmon tool use memory/cpu for monitoring the server.

If server hangs or server load is high, how perfmon tool log the values.

Post #535717
Posted Friday, July 18, 2008 5:31 AM

Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, February 22, 2013 6:29 AM
I am running 41 measures at a rate of every 5 minutes with no noticeable slowdown.

In addition, I have a Performance Monitor set up remotely at 1 minute with no effect on performance.

If you set it up remotely, it has less of an impact.

---------------------------------------------------
No matter where you go, there you are.
Post #536648
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse