Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Oracle DB backup Expand / Collapse
Author
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, June 23, 2014 6:03 AM
Hi,
I am new to oracle, could anyone tell me how to take the backup for oracle database with sybtax / using GUI( & how to use it ?) ?

Regards,
Abhijit More
Post #534875
Posted Friday, August 1, 2008 5:56 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:15 AM
I being working with Oracle for 10+ years now and never heard of something called "sybtax", what's that?

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
Post #545038
Posted Friday, August 1, 2008 2:56 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Sunday, August 3, 2014 3:03 PM
Hi PaulB,
Apart from this 'sybtax', could you share a little about the database backup methodology in Oracle. Being an Oracle developer for long in past and now SQL Server developer did not have exposeure to backups. What I know about and use is just exporting schemas to .dmp and importing back.

Sincerely,
Maz

-----------------------------------------------------------
Time Is Money
Calculating the Number of Business Hours Passed since a Point of Time
Calculating the Number of Business Hours Passed Between Two Points of Time
Post #545495
Posted Friday, August 1, 2008 3:25 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Monday, October 8, 2012 2:57 AM
Oracle doc Oracle® Database Backup and Recovery Basics may be a good staring point.
And then Oracle® Database Backup and Recovery Advanced User's Guide :)

Gints Plivna
http://www.gplivna.eu

Gints Plivna
Post #545502
Posted Saturday, August 2, 2008 4:09 AM
Old Hand

Hi gints,

What I know about and use is just exporting schemas to .dmp and importing back.

Is it not the logical backup ?

Thanks,
Maz

Time Is Money
Post #545616
Posted Saturday, August 2, 2008 10:20 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Okay... here we go with some info about Oracle backups.

COLD BACKUP
Usually database is in noarchivlog mode; no point in time recovery.
You shutdown your database then you copy -operating system copy - all your datafiles, control files, etc.
If you have to restore you just copy everything back and startup your instance.

HOT BACKUP
Usually database is in archivelog mode; allows for point in time recovery.
You put your tablespaces in backup mode then copy all your datafiles and archivelogs -operating system copy - plus you create a control file and copy it too.
If you have to restore you copy everything back, startup nomount your instance, rollforward archivelogs and then open your database.

RMAN
Allows for point in time recovery and database clonning.
This is Oracle's native backup tool, imposible to tell you in five lines all RMAN is capable to do but think RMAN knows everything about your database and you just have to tell it what you want to do either backup or restore.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
Post #545655
Posted Saturday, August 2, 2008 1:23 PM
Old Hand

I think logical backup and recovery using the exp and imp utilities are also very useful and important as it allows to take backup of selected objets in the schema (with or without data).

Time Is Money
Post #545696
Posted Saturday, August 2, 2008 1:38 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Monday, October 8, 2012 2:57 AM
BTW if you are on at least 10g then check data pump (impdp and expdp) - they have wayyyyyy more capabilities than original imp/exp.

Gints Plivna

Gints Plivna
Post #545698
Posted Sunday, August 3, 2008 2:13 AM

Hall of Fame

Mazharuddin Ehsan (8/2/2008)
I think logical backup and recovery using the exp and imp utilities are also very useful and important as it allows to take backup of selected objets in the schema (with or without data).

I'm sorry but I have to strongly disagree, not just me... the whole Oracle community would if they find their way to this forum.

Here is why, you cannot recover a database from an export dump therefore export is not a form of backup. Oracle does not considers exp/imp a form of backup, just a tool to move data around like you would do via BCP in the SQL Server world.

Post #545752
Posted Sunday, August 3, 2008 10:31 AM
Old Hand

I'm sorry but I have to strongly disagree, not just me... the whole Oracle community

I wonder why to disagree when Oracle itself is defining logical backup as a valid backup method.

Oracle® Database Backup and Recovery Basics
Logical backups contain logical data (for example, tables or stored procedures) exported from a database with an Oracle export utility and stored in a binary file, for later re-importing into a database using the corresponding Oracle import utility.

And from the Oracle community:

What is import/export and why does one need it?
Oracle's export (exp) and import (imp) utilities are used to perform logical database backup and recovery. When exporting, database objects are dumped to a binary file which can then be imported into another Oracle database.

You cannot equate BCP to exp/imp. One quick reason is exp/imp is to move data between Oracle databases while BCP is an ETL tool. The counterpart of BCP in the Oracle is the good ol' SQL*loader. This is the primitive tool that Oracle has got while SQL Server has far more sophisticated DTS and SSIS which can be programmed to do a lot of ETL automations.

Thanks for your valuable info on Oracle backup :)

Time Is Money
Post #545797
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse