Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Error Handling in Nested Procedures and Logging Custom Errors Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 7:25 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Error Handling in Nested Procedures and Logging Custom Errors

Post #528876
Posted Monday, July 7, 2008 8:10 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Friday, September 5, 2014 11:00 AM
How can I see the contents of the TXT files? When I click on the link to the TXT files, I get a SQL Server Central page with the contents saying that it could not find the file. This is the case for both TXT files. I am curious to see what code you added, since I am working on this type of problem now.

Mike
Post #529338
Posted Monday, July 7, 2008 10:07 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

i did sent email to steve jones

Post #529442
Posted Monday, July 7, 2008 10:14 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 8:32 AM
All the files are at the bottom of the article. I didn't notice the links internally, which needed to be removed.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #529450
Posted Monday, July 7, 2008 2:26 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Saturday, September 15, 2012 1:55 PM
I noticed that the author uses this statement to grab the newly inserted identity:

set @INSERTED_IDENTITY_ID = IDENT_CURRENT('HIST_ERROR_LOG');

I think he meant to specify the table 'ERROR_LOG', not 'HIST_ERROR_LOG'.

Also, IDENT_CURRENT will return the identity value of the table provided across all sessions, meaning you could get a value that some other thread generated. I usually rely on scope_identity(), which works all the time, except if you have a trigger on the table in which you're inserting into and that trigger happens to be inserting into yet another table with an identity (not a common scenario).

Another confusing point of the article is the author's variable naming conventions, prefix of: '@$'. You only need to use @ to indicate something's a variable. I couldn't find any reference as to what the $ would stand for. My guess it's a remnant of an older style when variables were prefixed with $ (e.g. environment variables in a shell).
Post #529633
Posted Monday, July 7, 2008 2:46 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

pvoutov (7/7/2008)
I noticed that the author uses this statement to grab the newly inserted identity:

set @INSERTED_IDENTITY_ID = IDENT_CURRENT('HIST_ERROR_LOG');

I think he meant to specify the table 'ERROR_LOG', not 'HIST_ERROR_LOG'. (Correct)

Also, IDENT_CURRENT will return the identity value of the table provided across all sessions, meaning you could get a value that some other thread generated. I usually rely on scope_identity(), which works all the time, except if you have a trigger on the table in which you're inserting into and that trigger happens to be inserting into yet another table with an identity (not a common scenario).

Another confusing point of the article is the author's variable naming conventions, prefix of: '@$'. You only need to use @ to indicate something's a variable. I couldn't find any reference as to what the $ would stand for. My guess it's a remnant of an older style when variables were prefixed with $ (e.g. environment variables in a shell).

You are right about Error_Log table name.
$ is to distinguish templated variables from lately declared by developer's variables

Post #529646
Posted Monday, July 7, 2008 3:33 PM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 9:27 AM
Thanks Leo for the article, the information was very interesting. Your English is pretty good, though there were plenty of grammar errors. I would have thought your editor would have caught them. Keep practicing. I look forward to your next article.
Post #529673
Posted Monday, July 7, 2008 10:15 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 3:19 AM
Nice article. You have really encouraged lot of people to write. We may see lot of articles from new bies.....:)

Post #529747
Posted Tuesday, July 8, 2008 4:39 PM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Monday, September 8, 2014 4:14 PM
Thanks for the article Leo. It seems well suited to function in the environment you propose. I want to know why I never see anybody use the SAVE TRAN statement. In my research and testing, this is the only way to isolate a transaction within a stored procedure, so that it can be independently rolled back without regards to the transaction state before the procedure was called. ?? Has anybody else used SAVE TRAN?

Post #530414
Posted Wednesday, July 9, 2008 9:03 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, September 18, 2008 11:56 AM
Pity there are no autonomous transactions in SQL Server. Has anyone used a CLR to accomplish autonomous transactions?
Post #530914
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse