Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

The Vacation Dilemma Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, December 3, 2012 6:35 AM
The company I used to work for was one of the worst when it came to vacation or any other leave. At the time i left i was earning 6 weeks of vacation per year, but using it was always an issue.

When my second child was born i took a week off to be in the hospital and to help at home. Two days into my time off i was receiving calls about another employee leaving that week (he had given over a month notice), asking me to spend some time working with him so i could take over his workload.

The year before i left I had to have surgery on my arm and hand and decided to use some vacation time (3 1/2 weeks) instead of short term disability. Within a week (before the sticthes even came out of my hand) I was receiving phone calls asking when i would be back. When i did return not 1 thing i was assigned had been handled by anyone else and my workload had increased again due to the purchase of another product (but no people).

Post #516559
Posted Friday, June 13, 2008 5:17 AM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 8:18 AM
In my case, I have 23 days vacation per year. When I go in vacation, my toughs are outside of my work. I have to relax and have fun with my family. I have to forget all about computers. Each year, during 15 years of working, I went to mountain and to sea. And when I came back to work nothing happened tragically.:)

In Theory, theory and practice are the same...In practice, they are not.
Post #516566
Posted Friday, June 13, 2008 5:43 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 12:13 PM
When I go on vacation, I have the ability to forget that I even have a job. I can go the entire vacation without thinking about work, responsibilities, what may go wrong, whatever. I don't answer phone calls, pages, emails, or call to check in. I know it will all be there when I return and i can sort out the mess when I get back.

If management starts making noise about me not being able to take off, then I tell them if I'm that important that I can't take my EARNED vacation, then they need to be paying me a lot more money. Since vacation is part of the compensation package, if you don't get to take it, then you are leaving money on the table. When was the last time you saw your employer give up something for nothing?

Now before I go, if there is something special that other people need to be aware of, I will put that in a document so they are not totally blindsided, but I am not going to pre-work everything that I would normally have done that week. If my job is so mission critical, there better already be a trained backup to step in whenever I can't be there for whatever reason.

If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!;)
Post #516583
Posted Friday, June 13, 2008 6:09 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, November 24, 2008 9:03 AM
Absolutely, plan and take the vacation.
You've EARNED it. In our business, every day is extra work.
Thanks for being candid with all of us.
Post #516603
Posted Friday, June 13, 2008 6:11 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:23 PM
Should you "have to" do extra work? No. Are you going to in most situations. Yes.

It's kind of the nature of the beast. If you have tasks that have to get completed, some of them can get shared out to co-workers, but not all of them. That's just how it goes.

However, I take my vacations. Like so many others here, I've realized my focus is working in orderr to live, not living in order to work.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #516604
Posted Friday, June 13, 2008 6:14 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:33 AM
I can only think of one response to this article -
http://www.fourhourworkweek.com

Not affiliated to Tim Ferriss at all, just jealous. (and plotting . . .);)

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #516605
Posted Friday, June 13, 2008 6:38 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 4:14 AM
A former colleague told of when he left his previous company...
He had worked a lot of extra hours and accumulated a lot of time off in lieu of payment. One day he went to his boss and said he was leaving.
"You are on three months notice" he was told.
"Fine. I've got 3 months time instead of pay. I'll clear my desk and say goodbye."
And off he went, taking his 3 months as paid holiday.

Original author: SQL Server FineBuild 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005. 28 July 2014: now over 30,000 downloads.
Disclaimer: All information provided is a personal opinion that may not match reality.
Concept: "Pizza Apartheid" - the discrimination that separates those who earn enough in one day to buy a pizza if they want one, from those who can not.
Post #516618
Posted Friday, June 13, 2008 6:45 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:44 PM
I think we all tend to be a little guilty of thinking we're the only ones that can do the work, and that all work has to be done right now! There's also some truth to both of those perspectives.

There is a lot of value in 'clearing the decks' prior to vacation, even if means a few extra hours at the office. The equivalent of spring cleaning, it's easier to relax when you've taken care of the stuff that would nag at you otherwise.

It's hardest on the small businesses, where a few people do it all. But somehow even very large companies end up behaving like they are a collection of very small businesses! This is one place where a good manager is worth their salary, because not only can they push you towards taking vacation, they can make sure the calls are fielded and that critical tasks get done so you don't return to a total disaster.

The last two years I've done minimal vacation (and often working vacation) because we've been in start up mode. Over the next year I'll be moving back to the 4-6 weeks vacation I'm used to taking, because especially in a small business I just can't afford to burn out.

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #516624
Posted Friday, June 13, 2008 6:46 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, August 29, 2014 2:22 PM
The one thing I've always told employers when I go on vacation is to treat my absence as though it was permanent. What would they do if I was leaving for good? They can't hire someone before I get back, so, treat the absence as though they were between my leaving and hiring someone else. That gets them and me thinking about what needs to be accomplished prior to vacation. This usually works unless something major breaks. I'm always on call for that sort of thing. It's the nature of our profession.
Post #516626
Posted Friday, June 13, 2008 6:51 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 12:19 PM
jcrawf02 (6/13/2008)
I can only think of one response to this article -
http://www.fourhourworkweek.com

Not affiliated to Tim Ferriss at all, just jealous. (and plotting . . .);)

Let me know how you make out with this. I was working a part time remote gig for a while and it was awesome. Just didn't last as long as I wanted. Hoping for more.... : )

David

@SQLTentmaker
SQL Tentmaker
“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot
Post #516633
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse