Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Delete Expand / Collapse
Author
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 10:01 AM
Also, your WHERE clause of PO.PODescription LIKE '%00000%' will normally produce a table scan. It's a bit hard to say for sure though as you have not posted an execution plan or your index structure as requested by the other posters.

John Rowan

======================================================
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - by Jeff Moden
Post #515499
Posted Wednesday, June 11, 2008 2:50 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 4:59 PM
John Rowan (6/11/2008)
Also, your WHERE clause of PO.PODescription LIKE '%00000%' will normally produce a table scan. It's a bit hard to say for sure though as you have not posted an execution plan or your index structure as requested by the other posters.

Agreed, although I can't think of how that wouldn't cause a table scan, thanks to the leading %. That kind of forces a table scan (or a clustered index scan), since there's no decent way to use an index to seek those out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
Post #515517
Posted Wednesday, June 11, 2008 3:08 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 7:22 PM
Matt Miller (6/11/2008)
John Rowan (6/11/2008)

Agreed, although I can't think of how that wouldn't cause a table scan, thanks to the leading %. That kind of forces a table scan (or a clustered index scan), since there's no decent way to use an index to seek those out.

I also agree, but we have to go with what the OP provided. There is one thing, and unfortunately I don't have time to try and find it, I thought I had read in "Inside Microsoft SQL Server 2005 T-SQL Querying" that SQL Server 2005 had some improvements in its statitistics that improved query performance with leading wildcard characters in the LIKE clause. When I have some free time (what ever that is) I will see if I can find it again.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #515533
Posted Wednesday, June 11, 2008 3:10 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 10:01 AM
Yes, please do. I'd be interested in reading that if you find it.

Thanks Lynn!

John Rowan

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - by Jeff Moden
Post #515535
Posted Thursday, June 12, 2008 5:05 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 12:58 AM
Try this...
DELETE FROM tbItem l (nolock)
Where exists(Select p.POID From tbProductionOrder p (nolock) where l.POID = p.POID AND PODescription LIKE '%00000%')
Post #515782
Posted Thursday, June 12, 2008 8:37 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 8:46 PM
Not sure the use of a correlated subquery (a form of hidden RBAR) will speed anything up here... Maybe...

The real fact of the matter is the OP says it used to work just fine... and doesn't now... what could be the problem? Parallelism?

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #515975
Posted Thursday, June 12, 2008 10:13 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 7:22 PM
Jeff Moden (6/12/2008)
Not sure the use of a correlated subquery (a form of hidden RBAR) will speed anything up here... Maybe...

The real fact of the matter is the OP says it used to work just fine... and doesn't now... what could be the problem? Parallelism?

True enough Jeff. Looking back at the original post (and paraphrasing), the system is hanging and the factory floor can't work. The issue could be blocking. Pretty sure that the NOLOCK hint is ignored on the delete, and if the DELETE is going to delete 11,000,000 rows, I wouldn't be surprised if SQL puts a table lock on the table.

If it was working before but isn't now, the two things that come to my mind now would be data and disk fragmentation. The OP should check these out.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #516078
Posted Thursday, June 12, 2008 10:28 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, May 30, 2014 6:27 PM
Could it be a case of your disks filling up with the transaction log?

have you checked for free space?
Post #516086
Posted Thursday, June 12, 2008 2:14 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 8:46 PM
Lynn Pettis (6/12/2008)
Jeff Moden (6/12/2008)

True enough Jeff. Looking back at the original post (and paraphrasing), the system is hanging and the factory floor can't work. The issue could be blocking. Pretty sure that the NOLOCK hint is ignored on the delete, and if the DELETE is going to delete 11,000,000 rows, I wouldn't be surprised if SQL puts a table lock on the table.

If it was working before but isn't now, the two things that come to my mind now would be data and disk fragmentation. The OP should check these out.

Correct, WITH (NOLOCK) only affects SELECTs.

I just can believe the delete of 11 million rows didn't get caught blocking before. Somethings not quite right here. I think Lynn is on the right track... I've seen it where the undocumented ability to DELETE alias has bitten folks before. Gotta follow the rules and delete from a table name, instead.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #516250
Posted Thursday, June 12, 2008 2:30 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 5:47 AM
Jeff Moden (6/12/2008)
Lynn Pettis (6/12/2008)
Jeff Moden (6/12/2008)

Correct, WITH (NOLOCK) only affects SELECTs.

I just can believe the delete of 11 million rows didn't get caught blocking before. Somethings not quite right here. I think Lynn is on the right track... I've seen it where the undocumented ability to DELETE alias has bitten folks before. Gotta follow the rules and delete from a table name, instead.

Sometimes there is no tracking in the amount of rows on tables and a sudden increase can be a "surprise" ;)

* Noel
Post #516262
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse