Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Operations Manager Custom Collection Expand / Collapse
Author

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 11:01 AM
File groups, I'm working on. Several people have asked the same question. I'll post something as soon as I have a complete story.

Custom reporting, since these properties are collected just like any other, you can easily and quickly create a view in the Monitoring console. Otherwise, the data is stored into the datawarehouse in the same manner as all the other rules and so, if you've figured out how to query data from there, you can pull this data too. This could be an article too. No one from MS has published a model on how to do this. I've got some custom reports working from data collected, but it was labor to get them going.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #513638
Posted Monday, June 9, 2008 7:07 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

I'm not sure why you'd want to manage by FileGroup, but... What if you set up the same process that I outlined, but used this query to gather the data. I think it'd do what you want.

SELECT  fg.GroupName
,SUM(f.size / 128.) AS TotalSizeInMB
,SUM(CAST(FILEPROPERTY(f.NAME, 'SpaceUsed') AS INT) / 128.) AS SpaceUsedInMB
,SUM(f.size / 128. - CAST(FILEPROPERTY(f.NAME, 'SpaceUsed') AS INT) / 128.) AS FreeSpaceInMB
FROM dbo.sysfiles f
JOIN [dbo].sysfilegroups fg
ON f.groupid = fg.groupid
GROUP BY fg.GroupName

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
and

Post #513684
Posted Monday, June 9, 2008 7:35 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Tuesday, October 7, 2014 8:03 AM
:)Grant, that's the join I was looking for, thanks.

I could use it in the same VBS you posted earlier, absolutely. The chellenge I am facing now is reporting on this.

I tried creating a view, scope on the same target as the Rule is on, and check "collected by specific rule". But I get 'No Performance Counter is Selected...' And the legend is empty, so I think no data is being gathered. I'll play with this a little more, but your help is aappreciated!

Thanks
Post #513703
Posted Monday, June 9, 2008 7:54 AM

SSChampion

The first time I created the rule, it took a while for it to actually gather the data. I'm assuming that was time spent sending everything out to all the various agents. Also, since I only collect data once a day, the default on the views is to show only a day's worth of data, but if the process hasn't run yet today, it just shows as blank. Changing the date range to two or more days makes the difference.

Good luck. Let me know if you run into any other issues.

The Scary DBA
and

Post #513723
Posted Thursday, August 7, 2008 7:27 PM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Thursday, November 20, 2014 10:24 AM
Grant Fritchey (6/5/2008)
Thanks guys. I realize it's kind of an obscure topic, but I had such a hard time tracking down the individual pieces of information that I felt compelled to share it so the next person has a slightly easier time.

Great article, thanks for writing about SCOM. I've been having a hard time working with SCOM, since, as you yourself mention, information is not well organized out there. It's been very frustrating.

Please keep those SCOM articles coming, they are a valuable resource.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2
Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 1
Real-Time Tracking of Tempdb Utilization Through Reporting Services
Monitoring Database Blocking Through SCOM 2007 Custom Rules and Alerts
Preparing for the Unthinkable - a Disaster/Recovery Implementation
Post #548798
Posted Friday, August 8, 2008 5:56 AM

SSChampion

Thanks. I'm glad it was at all helpful. Keep an eye out for Thomas LaRock articles too. I know he's got a new one coming becuase he let me review it before he sent it in to Steve. He's been working with OpsMgr quite a while longer than I have, so he's worth listening to.

The Scary DBA
and

Post #549033
Posted Friday, August 8, 2008 10:31 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Grant Fritchey (8/8/2008)
Thanks. I'm glad it was at all helpful. Keep an eye out for Thomas LaRock articles too. I know he's got a new one coming becuase he let me review it before he sent it in to Steve. He's been working with OpsMgr quite a while longer than I have, so he's worth listening to.

That's great to hear.

Please guys, keep these articles coming. I'm working with MS support right now on creating custom functionality similar to yours, and I'm frustrated to no end. They in effect told me that what I'm trying to do (create a custom rule/monitor based on a vbs script) is not possible. Instead I should create a SQL job that runs on a schedule and writes the information to the Event Log for SCOM to pick it up! What's even the point of using SCOM if I have to rely on a SQL Server job for monitoring?

I can live with poor documentation, but when even MS support does not help me, then that's the ultimate...

__________________________________________________________________________________

Post #549406
Posted Friday, August 8, 2008 10:35 AM

SSChampion

Yeah, that's pretty common. We have a Microsoft consultant who comes in on site to help us with OM issues. I showed him what I was doing and he started taking notes. It didn't fill me with confidence.

Say, you wouldn't know if there was a rule or monitor in place that caught logged errors with a severity greater than, say, 17?

The Scary DBA
and

Post #549409
Posted Friday, August 8, 2008 10:42 AM
SSCommitted

Grant Fritchey (8/8/2008)
Yeah, that's pretty common. We have a Microsoft consultant who comes in on site to help us with OM issues. I showed him what I was doing and he started taking notes. It didn't fill me with confidence.

Say, you wouldn't know if there was a rule or monitor in place that caught logged errors with a severity greater than, say, 17?

:D That's hilarious!

Somewhere someone has documented all this stuff about context parameters etc. Why hasn't Microsoft bothered to put it up on msdn?

My initial answer would be they want to make $$$ off support fees.
But, now I'm not so sure after the experience I've been having...

Regarding your question, I don't know of anything like this at the moment, but will let you know if I come across anything.

Post #549413
Posted Friday, August 8, 2008 3:11 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Tuesday, October 7, 2014 8:03 AM
Marios, I agree completely. I've had some "challenges" dealing with MS support as well, and have found lack of documentation and expertise... So that's why these posts, blogs, forums etc are priceless, way more useful than PSS.;)
Post #549610
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse