Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««23456»»»

SQL Server 2005 Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:50 PM
hi steve

i am using sql 2000. how can i answer this question?
Better seperate questions for sql 2000 and 2005, since i could not answer well.
hope you do the needfull
Post #497572
Posted Friday, May 9, 2008 12:01 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, August 14, 2014 12:26 AM
Resource is a very much a system database.

Read these:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178028.aspx: System Databases
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/mladenp/archive/2007/03/12/60132.aspx :MsSqlSystemResource - SQL Server 2005's 5th system database

Post #497585
Posted Friday, May 9, 2008 5:22 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Saturday, June 28, 2014 8:50 AM
When I was attending school [nearly a million years ago], I never appreciated trick questions and at this stage in my life I cannot recall any of those questions. On the other hand, there were good questions my teachers and professors asked that still remain in my head in my the same way a good joke remains easy to recall. I'm not convinced that trick questions teach people anything other than humility.

Jamie
Post #497750
Posted Friday, May 9, 2008 6:17 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 12:25 PM
Jamie Longstreet (5/9/2008)
When I was attending school [nearly a million years ago], I never appreciated trick questions and at this stage in my life I cannot recall any of those questions. On the other hand, there were good questions my teachers and professors asked that still remain in my head in my the same way a good joke remains easy to recall. I'm not convinced that trick questions teach people anything other than humility.

Are you calling this question a trick question? I think it was a very good question, it is in fact a question someone I know asks potential employees in an interview for DBA positions.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #497794
Posted Friday, May 9, 2008 7:08 AM
SSCrazy

Lynn,

I think it has the possibility of being a better question. Like everything that gets put out here on the web, I expect a good deal of thought should be required before it goes out.

Speaking of Interviews:
I get lots of weird questions at interviews. Here are a couple of examples (which incidentally, were interviews that did not hire me and were during the last year):

When you open up the Visual Studio 2005 interface, what do you do?

then later in the interview:

When you open SQL manager, what do you do?

And frankly, what I did, was bit my tongue because I wasn't sure if it was a joke or not, then went home, told my wife and had a few laughs.

Jamie

Jamie
Post #497838
Posted Friday, May 9, 2008 8:09 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

So, would you improve the question, or the answers provided? To take this into an interview environment, I would be looking to see if someone knew that there were 5 system databases: master, model, msdb, tempdb and resource. It wouldn't matter as much to me if they could provide me with the logical or physical names. You can look that up in BOL or in the file system.

Lynn Pettis

For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables

Post #497913
Posted Friday, May 9, 2008 10:07 AM
SSCrazy

I would certainly try to improve the question. Question can trip someone up when they are shot as a curve ball - it doesn't mean the person answering the question isn't qualified to hit the ball. It means the experience of that person is different from that of the pitcher.

For example, post a question on line that is important for everyone to understand, but posted it in a way that the person reading the question can't understand, the answer won't come easily. Now post in a way that everyone understands... wow, the hits just keep on coming...

Jamie
Post #498055
Posted Friday, May 9, 2008 10:15 AM

SSC-Insane

So how would you have written this question?

Lynn Pettis

Post #498059
Posted Friday, May 9, 2008 10:37 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Friday, February 4, 2011 7:20 AM
Lynn Pettis (5/9/2008)
So, would you improve the question, or the answers provided? To take this into an interview environment, I would be looking to see if someone knew that there were 5 system databases: master, model, msdb, tempdb and resource. It wouldn't matter as much to me if they could provide me with the logical or physical names. You can look that up in BOL or in the file system.

So I'm reading all of this feedback intently because I've never heard of the Resource database (I've been using 2k5 since beta), and now I find out I would fail your job interview question.

I guess I want to know what is there that is worthwhile about knowing about it's existence? When you setup a Maintenance plan for the System databases, does it include the Resource database? Has anyone in this discussion ever gotten any use from the Resource database, or from knowing of it's existence?

Tom Garth
Vertical Solutions

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
Post #498079
Posted Friday, May 9, 2008 11:11 AM
SSCrazy

I suspect there would be numerous ways to pose the question... maybe
more inadvertantly, like "Have you ever heard of a Resource database?"

I'm not poking fun at the question... all questions are good questions in a sense... mostly, all questions are better than no questions, but there are also some "better" questions. I'm here reading and answering them.

But it seems important to remember it isn't a contest. For the sake of an interview, it's a chance to get to know what the person on the other end of the table is like and whether they are skilled enough to do the job more than whether they are MENSA qualified.

I'm getting deep here... no offense intended for MENSA folks!

Jamie
Post #498098
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««23456»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse