Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Custom Log Shipping Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Sunday, September 14, 2008 8:54 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, January 4, 2012 3:37 AM
I would like to add couple of aditions/changes:

1. You don't need to use xp_cmdshell to find whether the new backup is available. You can refer to MSDB database to find all backups that have taken place
2. In case you need to move the backups on other server, if its on WAN you can do so by FTP, if in same domain, you can take backup on the target server itself.

I had done this in early days when I was more a developer and a fresh DBA. I had written a VB program by implementing timer control.
I will give complete steps as per the points added in short while.

Thanks,
Girish
Post #569233
Posted Monday, September 15, 2008 8:09 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Monday, March 31, 2014 1:03 AM
Hi Girish,

Checking the MSDB is okay if the target database is also on the same server as the source. If the target DB is on a remote server it may probably need a linked server to the source server's MSDB. Hence the idea of checking the filename pattern using xp_cmdshell on a directory accessible from the target server, regardless of how the files land up in that directory - whether by FTP or by taking backup directly into that directory.

I like your idea of FTP'ing the backups to a remote target server. Please post the code for everyone's benefit.

Thanks
Post #569460
Posted Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:41 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, April 29, 2011 10:02 AM
Hi Girish,

I want to implement the customized solution to synch my test database with production database, the only thing for i what i am worried about is whether After implementing the cutomized solution, can we use the test database for all the transactions. Since this is not available in log_shipping solution, because after restore the database is in read-only mode and any other transaction other than read can not be executed.

Regards,
Ibrahim
Post #587288
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse