Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Rebuild Master Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, April 30, 2008 10:19 PM
SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, May 18, 2007 3:36 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Rebuild Master
Post #493405
Posted Wednesday, April 30, 2008 10:56 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:20 AM
This is good information to know. Thank you for the question.

In the URL given in the explanation, the phrase "The resource database (mssqlsystemresource)" appears four times. MS thoroughly emphasizes the outcome of restoring system databases.
Post #493413
Posted Wednesday, April 30, 2008 11:42 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Thursday, December 4, 2014 12:15 PM
Interesting (I got it wrong ). But what happens to the exe's (etc) that were patched?

Post #493418
Posted Thursday, May 1, 2008 12:19 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, November 20, 2014 3:44 AM
yea also I'm wrong but better that I learned it !!!:P:P

============================================================
SELECT YOUR PROBLEM FROM SSC.com WHERE PROBLEM DESCRIPTION =
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
Post #493429
Posted Thursday, May 1, 2008 3:05 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Monday, December 15, 2014 4:15 AM
Good topic selection. Good one. :P

Post #493442
Posted Thursday, May 1, 2008 3:54 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:15 AM
Good one:)

Thanks
Vinay Kumar
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Keep Learning - Keep Growing !!!
www.GrowWithSql.com

Post #493452
Posted Thursday, May 1, 2008 7:09 AM

Ten Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, June 26, 2014 6:11 AM
Definitely good to know. It seems like Microsoft needs to put a little more thought into this. Since this has to be done from the original media, it should be smart enough to detect you are not running at the same patch level of the media and provide instructions to accomomdate for that.
Post #493539
Posted Thursday, May 1, 2008 7:51 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Thursday, December 18, 2014 12:02 PM
I didn't think I knew this, but I got it right! When I saw the possible answers, I realized I'd seen this symptom before and was able to deduce the correct answer.

I was working on a customer's databases with which I was unfamiliar. They had a two servers, a primary and secondary (the app server handled failover). The primary was RTM while the secondary had service packs. Not only that, but the server net libraries on the primary were later service pack versions! I applied service packs, but had been left wondering how that could have happened. Now I know what might have happened to cause the discrepancy!
Post #493573
Posted Thursday, May 1, 2008 10:13 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 3:29 PM
Good Question. :)

I just joined yesterday, and have been going through some of the old QotD's. Seeing a question like this that makes you think and do some research is much better than some of the stuff I have seen in here. ;)

What is:
SELECT 35 / 5 - 2

That doesn't do much to stimulate brain activity. ;)

Thanks,

-Dark Jester

Post #493747
Posted Thursday, May 1, 2008 10:44 AM

Ten Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, December 11, 2014 3:10 AM
This is something I didn't know and which is probably quite important.

MS does mention that service packs and hotfixes should be reapplied
Important The resource database (mssqlsystemresource) is restored from SQL Server 2005 distribution media. When you rebuild the resource database from distribution media, all Service Packs and QFE updates are lost, and therefore must be reapplied. Before you proceed, see [REBUILDDATABASE] for more information.
However under the [REBUILDDATABASE] entry, there's no further mention of this, so I suspect a lot of DBAs who have to rebuild the master database don't get back to where they should be!

Of course, it does say that the most recent backup of the master database should be restored as soon as possible would would have the effect of updating it, but there is still great scope for error here.

Derek
Post #493779
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse