Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Average Salary Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, August 28, 2014 4:00 AM
Sherbrooke, Québec, Canada (90 minute south of Montréal).

It was more a contract than a job... but I'm sure I can find more of those if I need to... but I don't .
Post #493085
Posted Wednesday, April 30, 2008 9:54 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 9:52 AM
Hi,
Thanks For all of you.
Ninja's_RGR'us, Is 80000$C is good salary for a permanent job.

Regards,
Ahmed
Post #493095
Posted Thursday, May 1, 2008 9:02 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Monday, August 4, 2014 12:38 PM
I don't live in Canada, but I think my answer would be the same anywhere you live. It depends on the job. If it is a contracting job you would probably make more money since they would not pay for benefits (what ever they may be in Canada compared to US). If it is a full time position in a company, you would have to weigh the benefits offered with the salary. That can include time off, bonuses, educational reimbursement, overtime pay.... So if the job seems like a good fit and the salary is good for you, take it. If it is not what you expect, chalk it up to more experience and move on. Good Luck.
Post #493679
Posted Thursday, May 1, 2008 7:34 PM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Sunday, June 17, 2012 9:09 PM
The rule of thumb I follow seems to be the hourly rate you where getting ie $75 should have three zeros added to the end for an appropriate annual perminant fulltime salary $75, 000. This is for Australian IT
Post #493985
Posted Friday, May 2, 2008 8:30 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 7:55 AM
I think the location of the job is important, every place has its own cost of living. The higher the cost of living, the higher the salary, but does the salary cover the high cost of living?

I go to salary.com to calculate the cost of living in Denver, CO, the cost of living is 10% higher than where I live but the salary is of a DBA s 3% higher than where I live. So if I get a job in Denver, I will get paid more but it does not cover the high cost of living, I end up losing money.

I know some people will accept a lower salary job because of the company benefit. But after all these years working at so many companies, the 'good' benefit can change any time. One company used to pay 90% of the medical insurance but since the medical insurance getting so high, now the company can only pay 50%. One company used to have a very good retirement plan plus 401K, since the economy goes downwards, the company does not make so much money anymore, they stop the retirement plan and only support the 401K.

I will look at the benefits but they are not the main factors for me to accept the job.

just my 2 cents
Post #494276
Posted Friday, October 22, 2010 10:10 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, January 25, 2013 1:47 PM
@Loner

Ha, ha! Upstate NY! Sadly we are moving out of here next month. We love the people and the place, but not the jobs or the economy.

I grew up here and have noticed... 1. Cost of living is too high when compared to salaries. 2. Cost of living is too high when compared to a lot of other states. 3. In general the population is overeducated for the jobs they perform thus pushing salaries down.

It makes me sad because I would really like to raise my daughter here since it is a very nice place.

Just my 2c from having lived here 22 out of the 32 years of my life.
Post #1009331
Posted Friday, October 22, 2010 10:15 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:05 AM
Please note: 2 year old thread.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1009332
Posted Friday, October 22, 2010 10:23 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Ninja's_RGR'us (4/30/2008)
Sherbrooke, Québec, Canada (90 minute south of Montréal).

It was more a contract than a job... but I'm sure I can find more of those if I need to... but I don't .

I had missed that post a in 2008, but I'll answer anyway.

I was just on the phone with a recruiter and he tells me that 70K - 90K / year is pretty much what he sees. That does not include the benefits.

Of course downtown has to pay more than northshore or southshore because of the extra 40 - 80 hours / month to get to work!.
Post #1009340
Posted Friday, October 22, 2010 10:23 AM

SSC-Insane

GilaMonster (10/22/2010)
Please note: 2 year old thread.

So you're working for free since then?
Post #1009341
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse