Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

File Handling A Different Way Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, September 15, 2012 1:55 PM
With SQL CLR you can build something more elegant if you truly wanted to be able to write files through your data engine. However, I think this type of activity belongs in your app-tier.

Also, at first glance it seems you're limited to writing files that contain only ascii and one line at a time.
Post #503892
Posted Wednesday, May 21, 2008 2:06 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 5:38 AM
SQL CLR will require sql-server 2005 only. right??? secondly, the idea of writing to a file this way shows a way to anyhow pass a "string(any big, any format, embedded with n number of \r)" to xp_cmdshell.
Hope i could put up my point..
Post #504259
Posted Wednesday, May 21, 2008 9:00 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Saturday, September 15, 2012 1:55 PM
Yes, the use of CLR requires that you're on SQL 2005... Given that we're mid-way through the year 2008 and SQL 2008 is now available, I don't think it's unreanosable that anyone starting new development would be using SQL 2005.

Also, it's not unlimied, the command string you pass to xp_cmdshell can be either an nvarchar(4000) or a varchar(8000). I was wrong about the ascii requirement.
Post #504554
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse