Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

Restore database from network drive Expand / Collapse
Author

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 10:03 AM
As James said above will be the ideal solution for your issue, if not then instead of restoring directly from network, you can copy a backup file to test and restore it there as it will be more fast restoring locally without any effect on the network.
Post #728311
Posted Monday, August 10, 2009 1:33 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, August 10, 2009 2:19 AM
To check your computer name do this step...

From the windows start button>>Run>>Type "msinfo32.exe"

This will show the details of System Information,From the "System Summary" check the detail of "System Name" (xxxxxxx) which is your computer name.

So your UNC path would be like:

\\xxxxxxx\Kapils_Backup\WSS_Content_Farm_AA.bak

This entry should be given for two sections after clicking "Add" button ie: for "Selected path" & "File name".

Now the files from that shared location would be added to restore the DB.Dont worry about n/w paths not displaying...Your files are accessible check it...Have a good day.

Regards,
Kapiljith.R
Post #767660
Posted Monday, August 10, 2009 11:49 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 1:18 PM
Hello ALIF,

You can backup / restore your database to / from share folder, just defining the UNC name on the BACKUP/RESTORE statement.

The BOL said:
If you are using a network server with a Uniform Naming Convention (UNC) name or using a redirected drive letter, specify a device type of disk.

you can try the following:

backup database MyDB
to disk = '\\shareserver\backup\backup.bak'

or
restore database MyDB
from disk = '\\shareserver\backup\backup.bak'

With Regards,

Victor Alvarez
http://sqlpost.blogspot.com
Post #768031
Posted Tuesday, June 22, 2010 10:29 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 11:54 AM
Hey don`t use the entire path in the file name text box. use the path \\computername\foldername in the text box called SELECTED PATH. The use the file name backupfile.bak in the FILE NAME text box.
Post #941482
Posted Friday, May 10, 2013 10:16 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, May 10, 2013 10:10 AM
When restoring a database, mapping the unc directly did not work for me. I got a permission error.

I created a share where the backup file exists, then used the unc directly to the share:

Example:

so instead of
\\111.111.111.111\f$\SQL\BACKUPDIR

I created a share called BCKSHARE on SQL\BACKUPDIR

Then I used

\\111.111.111.11\sharename

This worked for me.
Post #1451679
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse