Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Hunting Developers Expand / Collapse
Author

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:03 PM
Miles Neale (2/8/2013)
Over the years we were reformed, changed, we "matured".

I totally understand, Miles. That's called growing up. There's nothing wrong with passion, and I don't think that the workplace needs to to be like a retirement home either. However, I have been in way too many shops in the past where the behavior from the co-workers is like attending a junior high school every day, without any care or concern for the people around them that have real work and deadlines to concentrate on.. Like my late uncle used to say, "There is a time and a place for everything in life, but this is not the time or the place."

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1417809
Posted Friday, February 8, 2013 10:29 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:23 PM
TravisDBA (2/8/2013)
Miles Neale (2/8/2013)
Over the years we were reformed, changed, we "matured".

... Like my late uncle used to say, "There is a time and a place for everything in life, but this is not the time or the place."

Travis, I know that you are right, we grew up and it all changed. We have to be productive, and we can no longer be as wild as those days. Simply put, a week of that would probably kill me. We look back at childhood with rose-colored glasses and miss parts of the journey, but we have traveled that road and are at a new place where that time has passed.

It is time not to lament the past and idolize those old memories, but to look to the future and create new memories that will also be long remembered. This train still has a lot of track in front of it, and we are still moving forward!

Have a great one!

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1417825
Posted Friday, February 8, 2013 10:39 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Very well put Miles!

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1417831
Posted Friday, February 8, 2013 11:20 AM

Ten Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 5:43 AM
I had the extreme pleasure of working for Microsoft Business Solutions for a few short years and to date it has been my favorite workplace evah! We worked hard and long but we also had opportunities to play hard often enough to keep it very interesting.

I still grieve over the closing of that facility...maybe someday I'll get over it
Post #1417839
Posted Friday, February 8, 2013 1:35 PM

Ten Centuries

batgirl (2/8/2013)
We worked hard and long but we also had opportunities to play hard often enough to keep it very interesting.

You know, now that you bring that up, I have heard that term before "play hard" and it always kind of confused me. What exactly does "play hard" mean? From what I have experienced and read in the past it refers to people partying after working hard. I think it's just an excuse for bad partying habits like excessive drinking. People with those habits are usually the ones who use the silly expression in the first place. Though, there are many many people who very work hard without "partying". I am one of them. My dog is a different story though. Also, there are those who party all the time without doing any work at all. So, the entire statement sounds a little exclusionary at best. It also seems to be a "trite" or "hackneyed" statement that someone long ago at Redmond came up with and has been long overused by certain individuals since. Personally, I stopped saying "Can you dig it?" long ago. It got to a point where it just sounded silly.

Post #1417893
Posted Friday, February 8, 2013 1:53 PM

Ten Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 5:43 AM
TravisDBA (2/8/2013)
batgirl (2/8/2013)
We worked hard and long but we also had opportunities to play hard often enough to keep it very interesting.

You know, now that you bring that up, I have heard that term before "play hard" and it always kind of confused me. What exactly does "play hard" mean? From what I have experienced and read in the past it refers to people partying after working hard. I think it's just an excuse for bad partying habits like excessive drinking. People with those habits are usually the ones who use the silly expression in the first place. Though, there are many many people who very work hard without "partying". I am one of them. My dog is a different story though. Also, there are those who party all the time without doing any work at all. So, the entire statement sounds a little exclusionary at best. It also seems to be a "trite" or "hackneyed" statement that someone long ago at Redmond came up with and has been long overused by certain individuals since.

Wow...nothing so sinister really :)

"Play hard" meant that we had organized events meant to take us completely out of the work mode. Some examples - soup cooking contests, building miniature golf courses in the aisles, scavenger hunts, silly contests all wrapped around fund-raising efforts for community causes. I'm certain that there were plenty of people who could party hardy after hours - but I'm talking about time set aside during working hours that required creative participation and did not include mood altering chemicals of any kind.
Post #1417899
Posted Friday, February 8, 2013 1:57 PM

Ten Centuries

That's the first time I have ever heard "play hard" mean a soup-making contest. That's rich!

Post #1417900
Posted Friday, February 8, 2013 1:59 PM
SSCrazy

Depends on what is in the soup!

Post #1417902
Posted Friday, February 8, 2013 2:09 PM

Ten Centuries

Miles, whether you realize it not, you just made my point.

Post #1417906
Posted Friday, February 8, 2013 2:17 PM
SSCrazy

I had to do something right today!

Post #1417909
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse