Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««23456»»»

DBA Morning Check List Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, September 17, 2008 8:16 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 10:35 AM
Only 3 what?
Post #571034
Posted Wednesday, September 17, 2008 8:32 AM

UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:47 PM
paul.t.silvey (9/8/2008)
Automate this stuff.... why manually look... but do not have you database server watch itself. That is like an internal investigation. Not much checks and balances there.

I agree it's not the best idea to rely on a server checking itself. If you have multiple servers then have the servers checking each other. Have them provide daily reports, that way you have an extra chance of becoming aware of a problem if you do not receive the report(s).

Alvin Ramard
Memphis PASS Chapter

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.
Post #571047
Posted Friday, August 27, 2010 12:01 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, August 27, 2010 1:26 AM
great work! I like it but could not do much for remote servers...
Post #976163
Posted Friday, August 27, 2010 12:07 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Monday, October 13, 2014 11:46 AM
Could you please be more specific about what you are not able to do?

My blog
Post #976165
Posted Friday, August 27, 2010 1:14 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 2:51 AM
I use SQL Response to monitor all my servers in various locations around the globe.
Post #976191
Posted Friday, August 27, 2010 1:23 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, September 1, 2010 6:45 AM
Hello, everybody.

This is good idea to cheсk servers every morning. But if you have 50 servers, like me, you will be dead before you will finish such check out. I can give some adviсe, as head of DBA team, how you can save a lot of time and be shure that all works perfectly:
1. Collect information about all IT infrastructre in your company and gover it in CMDB.
2. Create alerts on SQL servers and operators to inform them.
3. The message from alerts and jobs with high priority have to be sent in Service Desk system and to operators.
4. Very usefull to deploy monitoring system (HP, SCOM or so on).
5. Use the SMS services to inform operator about disasters in non work time.

Theese steps with help you, becouse if disaster you will know about it right in the moment, if you have a problem you will information as soon, as you run your comp.
My group consists from 4 mans, and only one hour we need to become shure that we do not have any problem.
Post #976196
Posted Friday, August 27, 2010 1:44 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 3:09 AM
I was excited by the article when I saw the title, but reading through I realised that most of these checks are done. I have only just started in the dba role for the last 8 months. My first job was to set up db monitoring and morning checks.

I have a system which monitors job failures, replication, indexing, db growth...etc, I get mails through out the day and each morning as a review. This email I reply to as confirmation (including any action taken) and stored in source safe.
Post #976213
Posted Friday, August 27, 2010 2:09 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, May 7, 2011 5:28 AM
rubes (4/14/2008)
Nice article. I would just like to point out that for those of us that have numerous servers, automation of the checklist is critical. If you're dealing with only one server, manually checking these things does not take a lot of time. But imagine checking job failures or drive space on 50 sql servers. We get paid too much to perform these menial tasks by hand. There are many 3rd party tools out there that do this for us. It's also pretty easy to write your own scripts and sql jobs... many starter scripts could probably be found on this forum.

One benefit of automating your checklist is time. The other benefit is proactive in nature. If a drive is out of space because tempdb exploded in size over night, it's better to get notified via email at 4 am. Sure, the cell phone disturbs your precious sleep, but you now have 4 hours to fix the situation before business opens at 8 am and people start screaming.

Also, if there are numerous DBAs on your team, automating these checks helps greatly with standardization.

Seconded.
For Oracle we aggregate results of overnight operations across all databases into one email (this includes known databases where something should have happened and didn't)
We then have an auto generated service call where the reactive DBA for the day lists the errors and what he/she did about them.
I would like to do the same for SQL Server, but my knowledge is limited and hence we still have a very manual process on SQL Server.
Post #976222
Posted Friday, August 27, 2010 4:09 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 8:15 AM
rubes (4/14/2008)
Nice article. I would just like to point out that for those of us that have numerous servers, automation of the checklist is critical. If you're dealing with only one server, manually checking these things does not take a lot of time. But imagine checking job failures or drive space on 50 sql servers. We get paid too much to perform these menial tasks by hand. There are many 3rd party tools out there that do this for us. It's also pretty easy to write your own scripts and sql jobs... many starter scripts could probably be found on this forum.

One benefit of automating your checklist is time. The other benefit is proactive in nature. If a drive is out of space because tempdb exploded in size over night, it's better to get notified via email at 4 am. Sure, the cell phone disturbs your precious sleep, but you now have 4 hours to fix the situation before business opens at 8 am and people start screaming.

Also, if there are numerous DBAs on your team, automating these checks helps greatly with standardization.

I signed in to make exactly these points. Automation, monitoring, and making use of job failure notifications, etc, is key if you have multiple sql servers, there is no way I could check 150+ servers each day.
Post #976262
Posted Friday, August 27, 2010 4:32 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, September 9, 2014 4:32 AM
I use Quest's Spotlight and Solarwinds IP Monitor, which are displayed on 2 wall mounted wide screen TVs.

In the morning I can see immediately what is going on the moment I walk in the office and all I do is check and fix whatever is red.

Any items flagged as orange need to be looked into, but not urgently.

As the monitoring is constant, any issues are flagged up within minutes without me having to run any repetative tasks myself.

On the weekends certain critical events (like disk space etc) are sent to me automatically by text message so I can remotely log on and fix rather than waiting until Monday by which time the critical event may have become a fatal one. I also receive a text message to confirm that the issue is resolved - handy when you know some issues will clear themselves with a certain timeframe.

With these two tools set up efficiently, there are no logs or emails to go through and no manual tasks leaving me to get on with the 'interesting stuff'.
Post #976271
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««23456»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse