Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

DBA Morning Check List Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, December 20, 2013 4:45 AM
rubes (4/14/2008)
Nice article. I would just like to point out that for those of us that have numerous servers, automation of the checklist is critical. If you're dealing with only one server, manually checking these things does not take a lot of time. But imagine checking job failures or drive space on 50 sql servers. We get paid too much to perform these menial tasks by hand. There are many 3rd party tools out there that do this for us. It's also pretty easy to write your own scripts and sql jobs... many starter scripts could probably be found on this forum.

One benefit of automating your checklist is time. The other benefit is proactive in nature. If a drive is out of space because tempdb exploded in size over night, it's better to get notified via email at 4 am. Sure, the cell phone disturbs your precious sleep, but you now have 4 hours to fix the situation before business opens at 8 am and people start screaming.

Also, if there are numerous DBAs on your team, automating these checks helps greatly with standardization.

I totally agree with automation being essential. We shouldn't need to manually check all these things esp where there are a lot of servers involved.
Essentially as DBA's we want to know about backups, Jobs' status, Disk space usage vs free space (free space within db files as well as at total drive capacity), auditing (configuration changes, failed passwords, database growth), SQL error log messages , number of page splits, locking and a lot more besides.
There are a variety of ways that you can achieve the above with a combination of Alerts, querying system tables, performance monitoring and third party tools.
The thing to do is to find the best fit for you and your organisation with the infrastructure you have and the time you are allowed to devote to implementing a solution.
Post #484457
Posted Monday, April 14, 2008 1:06 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:55 PM
Preet (4/14/2008)
Essentially as DBA's we want to know about backups, Jobs' status, Disk space usage vs free space (free space within db files as well as at total drive capacity), auditing (configuration changes, failed passwords, database growth), SQL error log messages , number of page splits, locking and a lot more besides.
There are a variety of ways that you can achieve the above with a combination of Alerts, querying system tables, performance monitoring and third party tools.
The thing to do is to find the best fit for you and your organisation with the infrastructure you have and the time you are allowed to devote to implementing a solution.

I think that there should be some kind of Best Practices to manage SQL servers, something every DBA should use. You are right about the things that as DBA we need to check, but I refuse to accept that there is not a standard for managing databases. It is really a pitty that everybody is using a different aproach to manage their SQL infrastructure. We would get better results if we decide to implement a standard for this.

My blog
Post #484603
Posted Monday, April 14, 2008 1:09 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, May 22, 2014 5:29 AM

Database Name: Buzz_Data
Database Size: 12.3 GB
Data Files: 1 (Primary)
Transaction Log File: 1
Database Tables: 500+
At Present my user's are facing problem to retrive data in time inspite of having Server's config like Intel XEON (IBM) , 2 GB Ram, 80 GB HDD.

Hmm… Performance problems retrieving data - that could be a lot of things. However, here is some ideas how you might trouble shoot the issues you are experiencing.

1. SQL Server is most likely taking up most of your 2 GB of memory. Make sure there are no other applications competing for this memory. One method is to use task manager, click “show processes from all users” and sort by CPU and memory.
2. Setup a SQL Profiler trace on a single user. When that user starts having performance problems, you will have all the commands sent to the database. Look for the commands with long durations.
3. Run SP_WHO2 active when you start having performance issues determine if there is a process that is taking up a lot of memory or cpu time.
4. Setup a Server Side Script. Capture the statements with long durations.
5. Setup Performance counters. Create a baseline, when you are not having issues. When you do have issues, compare the current values to the baseline values. I pull perfmon file into excel and create charts. Below are the counters I use. This will determine if there are any bottlenecks.

Memory\Available MBytes
Memory\Pages/sec
Network Interface(Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet _2)\Output Queue Length
Network Interface(Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet)\Output Queue Length
Paging File(_Total)\% Usage
PhysicalDisk(*)\% Disk Time
PhysicalDisk(*)\Avg. Disk Queue Length
Processor(_Total)\% Processor Time
SQLServer:Buffer Manager\Buffer cache hit ratio
SQLServer:General Statistics\User Connections
SQLServer:Latches\Latch Waits/sec
SQLServer:Locks(_Total)\Lock Requests/sec
SQLServer:Memory Manager\Total Server Memory (KB)
System\Processor Queue Length

Bill Richards
Post #484606
Posted Monday, April 14, 2008 1:41 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, May 22, 2014 5:29 AM
Thank you for taking time to read my article. I hope that you have found the DBA Morning Check List article valuable. At one time, I worked at a company that did not have a standard DBA morning checklist, and I helped develop one. I wrote this article to challenge those who do not yet have a checklist to develop one. To the shops that do have a checklist, I desired to offer my ideas to improve their shops even more.

Managing many servers can be difficult. Below are my thoughts on posted comments

Third Party Tools: I have used Idera Diagnostic Manager and Quest Spotlight. Both are excellent tools to help capture and fix issues.

Scripts – At one company, I wrote sql scripts that created HTML pages. Part of my morning routine was checking the web pages to see what issues were reported.

Integration Services and Reporting Services – Currently, we use SSIS to pull information from all the sql servers, place the results in a database and pull the information using Reporting Serives.

Proactive – I believe in being proactive. I also have a pager that notifies me in the middle of the night if there is an issue. However, it is good to have a morning checklist to fix any issues that I didn’t get paged on.

Thanks,

Bill Richards, MCSE, MCDBA
Senior Database Analyst
Post #484624
Posted Monday, April 14, 2008 1:47 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:55 PM
Bill, I want to thank you for your tips.

My blog
Post #484626
Posted Monday, April 14, 2008 5:59 PM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, April 4, 2014 4:40 PM
This is definitely a good starting point for what should be monitored. The majority of this list can be automated relatively easily, which generally makes more sense than requiring an actual signature.

---
Timothy A Wiseman
SQL Blog: http://timothyawiseman.wordpress.com/
Post #484720
Posted Monday, April 14, 2008 11:50 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 10:36 PM
Nice article. A Good list to carry with. :)

Post #484771
Posted Tuesday, April 15, 2008 2:52 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, July 18, 2014 2:25 AM
This is nice article & useful... not bad!

Great post here!
Thnx! ;)

============================================================
SELECT YOUR PROBLEM FROM SSC.com WHERE PROBLEM DESCRIPTION =
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
Post #484821
Posted Tuesday, April 15, 2008 3:14 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 10:36 AM
Thabks for a good article. In my previous company, I used to handle near about 300 db servers with data aggregate to 13+TB. I was assigned o build the production dba team. During the team build, the projects used to grow further so everything was difficult initially.
We used a 3 tier monitoring system, with a third part tool moniotoring the application response, round trip time, uptime and numerous other things. Any fall in the response time used to send us emails and pages. The next tier was a tool that used to check the server side - cpu, disk space, port checkings etc. The next level was our custom written wmi, SQL DMO scripts. DMO really helped in doing almost all types of audits. I would recommend using SMO (DMO being deprecated in 2005) and write our own custom scripts to check virtually everything.

[url=http://rajanjohn.blogspot.com/][/url]
Post #484830
Posted Tuesday, April 15, 2008 7:30 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, November 9, 2010 4:12 AM
Dear Richard,
Tks, I will try remedy given by you.
Shall contact you in case of any query.
Regards,
Ritesh Mehta
Post #485004
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse