Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

DBA Morning Check List Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, May 22, 2014 5:29 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item DBA Morning Check List
Post #484212
Posted Sunday, April 13, 2008 10:48 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, November 9, 2010 4:12 AM
Dear Richard,
Nice Article. :)

If you can put more lines for Database Optimization,
would be more greatful for me.

My Company's present SQL database scenarios is as below.

Database Name: Buzz_Data
Database Size: 12.3 GB
Data Files: 1 (Primary)
Transaction Log File: 1
Database Tables: 500+

At Present my user's are facing problem to retrive data in time inspite of having Server's config like Intel XEON (IBM) , 2 GB Ram, 80 GB HDD.

Can you advice me to help my users.

Thanks, in anticipation.

Regards,
Ritesh Mehta
DBA
Gujarat (India)
Post #484221
Posted Monday, April 14, 2008 4:15 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, December 15, 2014 2:38 PM
Great article. I currently have a checklist that I now live by.
Especially when one thing goes wrong that requires immediate attention, a checklist allows to easily pick up where you left off on your daily routines. especially at 5-6 am, coffee alone isn't always enough...

I also group my daily checklist with weekly and monthly processes. I Identify and track errors now by a high-level type to help identify problems like recurring issues, server issues and network issues unrelated to the databases but affect them.

deb-salem, ma
Post #484291
Posted Monday, April 14, 2008 6:27 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Wednesday, November 5, 2014 3:47 PM
Excellent article. You can combined with the Microsoft SQL Server 2000 operations guide (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/maintain/sqlops0.mspx )

My blog
Post #484341
Posted Monday, April 14, 2008 7:30 AM

UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: Wednesday, January 2, 2013 12:15 PM
Excellent Article!

The operations guides and checklists Microsoft offers are pretty helpful, especially the one for setting up clustering.
Post #484382
Posted Monday, April 14, 2008 7:31 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Thursday, February 26, 2009 3:02 PM
Bill,

Thanks for taking the time to write this article. I have implemented a similar process in my environment. To collect the majority of my data, I use a modified version of David Bird's SQL Overview SSIS Package.

SQL Overview Part 1
By David Bird, 2008/01/07
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Integration+Services/61621/

SQL Overview SSIS Package II - Retrieving SQL Error Log
By David Bird, 2008/01/14
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Integration+Services/61714/

SQL Overview SSIS Package III - Full Package
By David Bird, 2008/01/22
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Integration+Services/61774/

Using David's articles and SSIS code, I have customized it for the uniqueness of the systems which I am responsible for. Your idea of printing everything out and storing in a binder with signatures, will be a a topic for discussion with my next planning meeting with my boss. I look forward to your future SSC postings.

Regards,

"Key"
MCITP: DBA, MCSE, MCTS: SQL 2005, OCP
Post #484384
Posted Monday, April 14, 2008 7:32 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 10:27 AM
Nice article. I would just like to point out that for those of us that have numerous servers, automation of the checklist is critical. If you're dealing with only one server, manually checking these things does not take a lot of time. But imagine checking job failures or drive space on 50 sql servers. We get paid too much to perform these menial tasks by hand. There are many 3rd party tools out there that do this for us. It's also pretty easy to write your own scripts and sql jobs... many starter scripts could probably be found on this forum.

One benefit of automating your checklist is time. The other benefit is proactive in nature. If a drive is out of space because tempdb exploded in size over night, it's better to get notified via email at 4 am. Sure, the cell phone disturbs your precious sleep, but you now have 4 hours to fix the situation before business opens at 8 am and people start screaming.

Also, if there are numerous DBAs on your team, automating these checks helps greatly with standardization.

Regards,
Rubes
Post #484385
Posted Monday, April 14, 2008 7:37 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Damon Wilson (4/14/2008)
Bill,

Thanks for taking the time to write this article. I have implemented a similar process in my environment. To collect the majority of my data, I use a modified version of David Bird's SQL Overview SSIS Package.

SQL Overview Part 1
By David Bird, 2008/01/07
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Integration+Services/61621/

SQL Overview SSIS Package II - Retrieving SQL Error Log
By David Bird, 2008/01/14
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Integration+Services/61714/

SQL Overview SSIS Package III - Full Package
By David Bird, 2008/01/22
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Integration+Services/61774/

Using David's articles and SSIS code, I have customized it for the uniqueness of the systems which I am responsible for. Your idea of printing everything out and storing in a binder with signatures, will be a a topic for discussion with my next planning meeting with my boss. I look forward to your future SSC postings.

Regards,

I also use the SQL Overview package from David. It is a great help to minitor the SQL infrastructure.

My blog
Post #484395
Posted Monday, April 14, 2008 7:42 AM

Hall of Fame

rubes (4/14/2008)
Nice article. I would just like to point out that for those of us that have numerous servers, automation of the checklist is critical. If you're dealing with only one server, manually checking these things does not take a lot of time. But imagine checking job failures or drive space on 50 sql servers. We get paid too much to perform these menial tasks by hand. There are many 3rd party tools out there that do this for us. It's also pretty easy to write your own scripts and sql jobs... many starter scripts could probably be found on this forum.

Could you please name some of the third party tools.

Thanks in advance.

My blog
Post #484399
Posted Monday, April 14, 2008 8:34 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Tuesday, December 2, 2014 8:26 AM
Useful discussion

It is a bit harder when the SQL Servers are hosted off-site to collect "stuff"
and that I am not yet on the "critical error" production email list

SQLServerNewbie

MCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2005
Post #484445
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse