Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Upgrading SQL Server 2005 Expand / Collapse
Author
SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, May 18, 2007 3:36 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Upgrading SQL Server 2005
Post #482730
Posted Wednesday, April 9, 2008 8:49 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 2:49 PM
I doubt about the answer. Here is the link for discussion:
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/downloads/trial-system-requirements.mspx
“Upgrading and Uninstalling the Trial Software”
Post #482734
Posted Wednesday, April 9, 2008 9:24 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 10:28 AM
I remembered reading that as well... Of course - it is worded as "strongly recommended that you uninstall and reinstall", so I suppose you upgrade directly.

Not having any direct experience at it - hard to say.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
Post #482742
Posted Thursday, April 10, 2008 12:43 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Sunday, March 30, 2014 8:18 PM
Assuming that the evaluation edition has not expired.

Post #482794
Posted Thursday, April 10, 2008 1:29 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 4:57 AM
Although even in Vivien's link, the sentence before the "strong recommendation" states that it can be done. If MS send that out in their documentation, they have an obligation to stand by it.

That said, I agree that it's one of those upgrade paths that's fraught with unnecessary gotchas, so I doubt many people would follow it. When all's said and done, an evaluation is a form of test, so I can't personally think of any time when I'd let an evaluation edition of any software near any instance of mine that couldn't be blown away with impunity.

Semper in excretia, sumus solum profundum variat
Post #482806
Posted Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:45 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:40 AM
Hi all,

Supporting frmo eval to any other edition is supported: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspx

However, it only works BEFORE the evaluation period expires. After that, you'll have to uninstall the eval edition before instaling the paid edition: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914158

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Post #482841
Posted Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:54 AM

Ten Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:14 AM
I got this right and have, in the past, upgraded a trial Exchange Server to full version, so I know it works for some MS software and assumed it would work for others.

Having said that, it's not that hard to do a backup-uninstall-install-restore sequence so I'd probably do that if I couldn't just wipe the system and start from scratch as it gets closest to clearing out everything. If the system is going to a full license then you should have a backup strategy in place so will be doing backups anyway, won't you? ;)

My preferred method would be backup-OSinstall-SQLinstall-restore with an implied 'wipe system' in the OSinstall as that makes sure that the final system doesn't have any trial software left on it.

Derek
Post #482847
Posted Thursday, April 10, 2008 7:43 AM
Ten Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 2:49 PM
Hugo’s link is more recent. So it can be a proof for the answer. The most important thing is MS supported.

I am afraid of doing so in a real production environment.
Post #483034
Posted Thursday, April 10, 2008 8:47 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 1:30 AM
Upgrading from the Eval product to any other version might be supported by Microsoft ,but i would never recommend doing so ..
Post #483090
Posted Thursday, April 10, 2008 9:03 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Saturday, June 28, 2014 8:50 AM
http://blogs.msdn.com/sanchan/archive/2006/07/27/681086.aspx

"To perform an in-place upgrade of SQL 2005 Eval edition to other SQL Server 2005 full blown editions, simply run the setup and it will identify the existing installation, and will run an upgrade check. It will then let you know if the upgrade is possible or not. If the upgrade is possible, simply go through the setup wizard and it will automatically upgrade the already installed instance of eval edition."

The way the question is worded - you can upgrade to any and all... is dubiously worded. You cannot upgrade a SQL 2005 Evaluation to SQL 2000 or to SQL 7 or to SQL 6.5... or at least, I was unaware that it is possible.

Above quote goes on to say that you must uninstall after the product has expired in order to upgrade.

I am bothered that lately all the questions are worded such that there is never a correct answer. Is it intentional or am I only just now noticing? hmmmm...

Jamie
Post #483105
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse